This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4901 / 51°29'24"N
Longitude: -0.1289 / 0°7'44"W
OS Eastings: 529998
OS Northings: 178449
OS Grid: TQ299784
Mapcode National: GBR HN.61
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.QT63
Entry Name: Millbank Barracks South West Range, Royal Army Medical College
Listing Date: 24 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376571
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470575
Location: Westminster, London, SW1P
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Vincent Square
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Stephen Rochester Row
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3078 SW JOHN ISLIP STREET
1900/111/10199 Millbank Barracks SW range,
Royal Army Medical College
Barrack block. c1898, by the Royal Engineers for the Royal Army Medical Corps. Red brick with Portland stone quoins and dressings; gabled slate roof with tall brick stacks, mostly grouped along rear elevation. Rectangular plan. 4-storey NE elevation, with windows articulated into 2:3:3:3:2 pattern by 2-window projecting and pedimented outer and 3-window central wings each of 1-window depth. Plat band to stone ground floor, with arched ground-floor windows brought forward under balustrade and segmental-pedimented Doric doorcase to centre. The central block has keyed oculi (with clock to centre) above first-floor windows, and royal arms in typanum of pediment. Canted stair projections flank central wing: 8/12-pane sashes, set in Gibbs surrounds to first floor (pedimented to projecting bays and with cornices to other bays) and stone surrounds to other floors. Similar treatment to return elevations, with stacks surmounting open-pedimented and slightly-projecting central bays. Pedimented end bays flank rear elevations with similar windows, articulated into bays by strong treatment of lateral stacks. This block is flanked by single-storey ranges to either side, including a brick former guardhouse to right (with glazing bar sashes to single-storey and taller hipped range adjacent to entrance from John Islip Street) and a stone-faced former mess block to left with pedimented left-hand return and principal 4-bay front with casement windows and two doorways set into arcade with impost blocks and cornice exteding through to rendered projection on right.
Interior: not inspected.
HISTORY: The married quarters and barrack blocks serve to enclose the north-facing parade ground or square. Drawings for the married quarters (qv) were signed by CM Watson, the Inspector General of Fortifications, in 1898: it is probable, although not proven, that both barracks blocks were built to provide accommodation linked also to the Queen Alexandra Military Hospital (opened 1905), which was built on the north part of the huge Millbank Penitentiary Site. These are clearly related to barracks architecture in their planning but more elaborate both in their articulation and architectural quality than any other contemporary designs with the exception of the remarkable Peninsula Barracks in Winchester. They are principally included for their architectural quality and interest as part of this important group.
Listing NGR: TQ2999878449
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings