This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3505 / 52°21'1"N
Longitude: -0.8483 / 0°50'53"W
OS Eastings: 478545
OS Northings: 273120
OS Grid: SP785731
Mapcode National: GBR BTZ.NC4
Mapcode Global: VHDRM.75XX
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 2 November 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376651
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360421
Location: Old, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Old
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Wold St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
OLD CHURCH LANE
SP77SE (South side)
10/168 Church of St. Andrew
Church. C13 and C14 with C19 alterations. Squared coursed lias with ashlar
dressings and slate roof. Nave with south aisle, chancel with north and south
projections and west tower. Chancel of one-window range of 2-light C19 windows
to north and south and similar 4-light east window with decorated tracery.
Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and kneelers. Vestry organ chambers to north
and south at right angles to chancel have C19 two-light windows, gabled roofs
with ashlar gable parapets, kneelers and finilas. South aisle of 4-window range
of late C13, two-light windows. Second window from left is 2-light square headed
with south door adjacent which has single chamfered arch with shafts. Late C13
two-light west window. Gabled roof has ashlar parapets and finial to west gable.
South nave clerestory of 5-window range of 2-light Perpendicular windows with
4-centred arch heads. North elevation of nave of 2-window range of 3-light
Perpendicular windows with 4-centred arch heads. 4-window range of clerestory
windows similar to south side. Nave has gabled roof with ashlar parapets. North
porch between window range is gabled, with simple pointed chamfered arch. Small
2-light square head windows to east and west walls of porch. North entrance to
church has fine Perpendicular surround, 4-centred arch head with leaf spandrels.
Flanking buttresses with pinnacles, and 10 fleuron motifs along the hood mould.
West tower of 4 stages has 3-stage clasped buttresses to lower 3 stages. West
door has 3-light Perpendicular window above. Each face of fourth stage has part
of 2-light Perpendicular bell chamber openings with transoms. Quatrefoil frieze
above with castellated parapet and gargoyles at corners. Interior: Chancel has
C19 arches to vestry and organ chamber, C19 barrel roof to chancel.
Perpendicular chancel arch has 3 shafted clusters with hollows between. 4-bay
south arcade of Perpendicular double chamfered arches having piers with 4 shafts
and 4 hollows. Triple chamfered tower arch, C19 arch from south aisle to organ
chamber. Shallow pitch nave roof has moulded tie beams proabably C15. Angel
corbels with shields. Stained glass in lower south aisle window has fragments of
medieval glass, one showing man with devil on his back is c,1520. Original plank
door and lock to north. Monuments, latin inscription dated 1606 under arch to
left of alter, probably reset in C19. C19 sedilia to right of altar, 2 niches in
south wall one has diamond decoration to soffit and short shafts.
(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.360).
Listing NGR: SP7854573120
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings