This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2985 / 51°17'54"N
Longitude: 1.2174 / 1°13'2"E
OS Eastings: 624391
OS Northings: 160405
OS Grid: TR243604
Mapcode National: GBR VZD.GMF
Mapcode Global: VHLGJ.1MZF
Entry Name: Church of St Mildred
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376652
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178206
Location: Preston, Dover, Kent, CT3
Civil Parish: Preston
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 26 SW PRESTON COURT LANE
1/175 Church of
11.10.63 St. Mildred
Parish Church. Early C13, remodelled and extended C14. Restored 1857 by
William White. Flint and rubble stone with plain tiled roof. Chancel and
north chapel, nave and aisles, west tower and north porch. Two stage west
tower with C19 pyramidal cap; lancets, and angle roll western doorway. Two
C14 3 light dormer windows in nave roof to north and south. Two-light
cusped ogee-headed windows in aisles, blocked at insertion of dormers (1857).
Ogee headed and cusped lancets in south aisle and chancel. C19 lancets in
chancel, C14 chapel, separately roofed, with 3 light Y-traceried east window
and trefoil-headed lights with ogee-trefoil tracery. C19 north porch with
saw-tooth moulded doorway. Interior: tower arch with simple chamfer on
abaci, north arcade of 3 bays, with simple chamfered arches. South arcade
of C14 date, double chamfered arches dying into tall square piers with stop
chamfered edges. Roof of 3 crown-posts. Early C13 chancel arch slightly
chamfered on moulded and undercut abaci. Shafted reveal to C19 lancets.
North chapel, with C13 arch to north aisle, but C14 in form, double chamfered
arch on round responds to chancel, restored trussed rafter roof, with door and
chamfered recess at north west corner. Fireplace in north-east of chapel a
remnant of its use as schoolroom. Shouldered piscine in chapel, simple,
shelved piscina in chancel, and trecusped ogee-headed piscina in south aisle.
Stained glass. C14 fragments in window heads in chapel, oak and vine leaves.
Royal Arms over tower arch. Dated 1709. Monument: Henry Waddal, d.1729.
White marble wall plaque in chancel with wreath over and standing on a base
with cartouche. Parochial Library: in south aisle a cupboard with door of
2 raised and fielded panels, painted with inscription:
Parochial Library Dr. Bray (1656-1730) was
For the use of the
Vicars of Preston.
founder of the S.P.C.K. in 1710. The library was 1 of only 10 in Kent, and
the only one to survive in the Parish's hands (41 of original 67 books). See
Arch. Cant. 99, 1983. (See BOE Kent II 1983 418).
Listing NGR: TR2468360650
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings