This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8009 / 52°48'3"N
Longitude: -1.4573 / 1°27'26"W
OS Eastings: 436682
OS Northings: 322728
OS Grid: SK366227
Mapcode National: GBR 6GF.JC0
Mapcode Global: WHDHD.LV7N
Entry Name: Outer Stable Block, Barn and Attached Buildings
Listing Date: 6 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376653
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82820
Location: Calke, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73
District: South Derbyshire
Civil Parish: Calke
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ticknall St George
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF CALKE CALKE PARK
SK 32 SE
Outer Stable Block,
Barn and Attached
Stables, barn, brewhouse, smithy and ancillary buildings. Early
C19, one range dated 1804. Red brick with plain tile roofs.
Brick coped gables with plain kneelers and two ridge stacks to
smithy. Two L-ranges set in sequence. One and two storeys.
Southern range forms a courtyard with the separately listed
stable block and riding school. Two storey smithy and dovecote
flanked by lean-to stable ranges. South elevation: Smithy has
two broad basket arches, the left hand one encompassing a door
and window, the right hand one just a window. No openings
above. to the left, window and door repeated three times, all
with segmental arches. To the right a doorway with flat arch, a
window and a door with segment heads. Two storey return range
to south east. West elevation has four bays of alternating
doors and windows with segment heads. The right hand bay
projects and is gabled, with blind segment headed doorway and
circular pitching eye above. East elevation has an irregular
six bays of segment headed windows interspersed by four round-
arched doorways. Four segment headed shuttered openings above.
Datestone inscribed Novr llth 1804. Northern L-range consists
of a barn on the north side with single storey range to south
east. East elevation has irregular three windows and doors, all
with segment heads. West elevation, to crew yard, has a five
bay colonnade with walls to two-thirds height, returning, with
various lean-tos behind the smithy. The barn has tall double
doors to south and three other doorways with segmental arches.
Three tiers of cross breathers. To the north the full height
cart entrance has been widened in C20. Three square pitching
openings and three tiers of cross breathers. A stone coped wall
encloses the west side of the crew yard.
Listing NGR: SK3668222728
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings