This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0953 / 52°5'43"N
Longitude: 0.4876 / 0°29'15"E
OS Eastings: 570502
OS Northings: 247026
OS Grid: TL705470
Mapcode National: GBR PF3.Q29
Mapcode Global: VHJHB.DLNL
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 19 December 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376724
English Heritage Legacy ID: 283216
Location: Kedington, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, CB9
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Kedington
Built-Up Area: Kedington
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Kedington St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
832/11/296 CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
A mainly Cl5 random stone and flint church with stone dressings. It incorporates stonework of tile earlier Norman church of circa 1140. The Cl5 square tower of random stone flint and brick has a castellated parapet a staircase turret and angle buttresses. There is some knapped flint chequer work at the base and some flat work ornamantation on the east side, The south-west buttress has words above a canopied niche, commemorating the wife of John de None fielder of the Manor in 1300 and builder of the tower. The Nave was built by the Barnardistons in 1420 and the roof is C16, a false hammerbeam flat above tile collar, as reconstructed by Lady Elizabeth Barnardiston circa C15. The south porch is C15 and bears the date on a wood panel in the apex of the Gable.
Tile north and south aisles are also Cl5. The south door has a wicket inset.
The Chancel, with a lead covered roof, is of the C14. The interior, probably
one of the least restored churches in Suffolk, has a variety of original features.
Much original woodwork, some crudely primitive benches, square topped, some with
linen fold panelling. There is a fine canopied pew built for the Barnardiston
family in 1610 and incorporating part of the original chantry screen of circa
1430. The 3-decker octagonal pulpit with sounding-board and back and 2 tiers
of arcading is also of circa 1610. The chancel screen is dated 1619. There
are some family box pews of 1730. At the West end of the nave there is a musicians gallery and stepped benches for childrens' catechism at the ends of the aisles, both dated circa 1750. The altar rail and sanctuary panelling was erected by Sir Samuel Barnardiston in 1710. Under the nave and aisles are 4 vaults containing 54 lead coffins. The church is rich in mural and other monuments. The tombs of the Barnardiston family include the following. Sir Thomas and Elizabeth Barnardiston (d. 1503 and 1526.), with recumbent figures. 3 other Sir Thomas Baarnardistons have tombs, one (d. 1542) part of an Easter sepulchre, is now set up as a mural, the other (d. 1619) has recumbent figures and the 3rd (d. 16l0) has an elaborate canopy, with kneeling figures. Nathaniel Barnardiston (d, 1653) and his wife has a mural with half- length figures. In the North aisle there is a mural to Sir Philip Skippon (d. 16l9). The church clock with a single hand, situated on the East side of the tower, was made in Braintree in 1729.
Listing NGR: TL7050247026
Other nearby listed buildings