This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.5419 / 53°32'30"N
Longitude: -2.2689 / 2°16'8"W
OS Eastings: 382276
OS Northings: 405056
OS Grid: SD822050
Mapcode National: GBR DWLH.L2
Mapcode Global: WHB98.37TL
Entry Name: Heaton Park Reservoir Pumping Station
Listing Date: 15 April 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469118
Location: Bury, M25
Metropolitan District Ward: Holyrood
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Prestwich St Margaret Holyrood
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 80 NW
Heaton Park Reservoir
Pumping station. 1954-5 by the Manchester City Architect's Department, Chief Architect Leonard C Howitt, for the Manchester Corporation Waterworks. Alan Atkinson, engineer. Incorporates large relief by Mitzi Cunliffe, signed and dated 1955. Yorkshire sandstone, with Westmorland greenstone from Broughton Moor used as relief. Roof not seen above dentiled overhang. Small square building housing pumps. Carved relief is a highly stylised depiction of the bringing of water from Haweswater to Manchester with contemporary figures supporting the pipeline and a curious flat relief designed to be seen from below. It was designed to commemorate those who constructed it as well as the origin and course of the aqueduct. Beneath it five plaques tell the history of the Haweswater supply. The pumping station reached via steps to either side behind short flanked walls topped with contemporary railings and pylon lights, and entered through five-part timber folding doors. Completely preserved interior fully lined in beige marble, with contrasting green marble skirting continued as door surround. Behind the Cunliffe mural is a wood relief section in sycamore depicting the 82 mile route of the pipe. Other joinery of teak. Original control system with cast iron valves and built-in electric fires with decorated grilles. The bringing of water to Manchester from a new reservoir at Haweswater was a major undertaking which cost £14,000,000. The sectional relief plan and the mural were conceived as part of the original brief to give a 'monumental' character to the city's remarkable achievement. Included as a remarkable synthesis of architectural design and fine sculpture, with the dominance of the latter in this tiny building. The building materials and the reliefs are all symbolic of the achievement in bringing of water from the Lake District to Manchester.
Listing NGR: SD8227605056
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings