History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mulley's Motorways and House

A Grade II Listed Building in Ixworth, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2985 / 52°17'54"N

Longitude: 0.8325 / 0°49'57"E

OS Eastings: 593240

OS Northings: 270484

OS Grid: TL932704

Mapcode National: GBR RFQ.TJ1

Mapcode Global: VHKD0.CHZB

Entry Name: Mulley's Motorways and House

Listing Date: 11 July 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376826

English Heritage Legacy ID: 283624

Location: Ixworth, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Ixworth

Built-Up Area: Ixworth

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Ixworth St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ixworth

Listing Text

IXWORTH
TL 9270-9370
19/5/47
11.7.83

HIGH STREET
(west side)

No 29, Mulley's Motorways and House

GV
II

House, now house and office. Early C19. 2 storeys. Gault brick and slates. 5 windows: small-paned sashes in eased frames with deep reveals. Large rounded central bay to upper storey: window surrounds have fluted pilasters and dentil cornice. C20 carriage entry below. Remains of shop window and door on left. Outside the shop window and attached to front wall and cellar below are two petrol pumps, the brick tanks for which are in the cellar. Delivery arms extend from the pumps to the front wall and extensions of these can be swung for delivery to vehicles. The pumps are labelled Beckmeter and this particular design was first licensed in 1935. HISTORY: This building is likely to have had a long association with various form of transport since it was already an omnibus company before Mr J Mulley bought the property in 1939. It was very probably the base for the carriers run by the Reeve family from at least c1900 until after WW1, and a house with yards attached is shown on the Tithe map of 1847.

Listing NGR: TL9324070484

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.