History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of Ss Peter and Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Bardwell, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.3263 / 52°19'34"N

Longitude: 0.847 / 0°50'49"E

OS Eastings: 594106

OS Northings: 273620

OS Grid: TL941736

Mapcode National: GBR RFJ.4Y7

Mapcode Global: VHKCT.MSNH

Entry Name: Church of Ss Peter and Paul

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376891

English Heritage Legacy ID: 283985

Location: Bardwell, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bardwell

Built-Up Area: Bardwell

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bardwell St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

TL 9273-9373,

CHURCH ROAD (East Side),
Church of SS Peter & Paul



Parish church. C15 west tower: rubble flint, on a chequerwork base of stone
and knapped flint. Four ashlar-faced buttresses, two diagonal. External stair
turret on the south side. The string-courses differ on each face: 4 on north,
3 on south, 5 on west. One 2-light window with cusped traceried head over west
doorway, and similar windows on all 4 faces of the top stage. Clock on the
south face. Small lead-covered spire. Six bells. Early C15 south porch in
knapped flint on a chequerwork base. Diagonal buttresses: battlements with
panels of flushwork. South face has flushwork panels, and three canopied niches
with mid-C19 statues. In the spandrels of the arch over the doorway are the
arms of Sir William de Bardewell (d.1434) and his wife. Two 2-light windows with
cusped traceried heads. The open timber roof, restored as a memorial in 1852,
has miniature hammer-beams with shields. Early C19 gault bricks on floor. Nave
in random flint, with remains of external stucco. Battlemented slate roof.
Range of 5 tall 2-light C14 windows with reticulated tracery. Fine single
hammer-beam roof in 12 short bays: the arched braces to the hammers
alternately long and short to fit over the windows. A carved pendant hangs
from the apex of each truss. Extensive remains of painting: trailing floral
designs, diagonal stripes, and simulated tracery in the spandrels of the arched
braces. Angel figures remain on only four hammer beams, one carrying an open book
with the date 1421. On north and south walls, traces of wall-paintings
uncovered during restoration in 1850's (see Procs. Suff. Inst. Arch. Vol.II,
for detailed, illustrated account). Mid C19 poppy-head benches: low Jacobean
panelling along walls. Plain octagonal C19 font: older font lying on floor
nearby. War memorial in blocked north doorway: arms of George II above. On
north wall, memorial to Bardwell men killed in Crimean War. Standing in north-
east corner, 4 finely traceried panels from C15 rood screen. The two windows
at the north-east end have medieval stained glass, including a portrait figure
of Sir William de Berdewell. Mid C19 timber pulpit. Narrow chancel arch, with
a squint on each side. In south east corner, a piscina, and door to rood
stair, with opening above. Chancel extensively restored in 1850's. Faced in
kidney flints: knapped flint and ashlar to buttresses. 3-light memorial east
window, 1863: stained glass by O'Connor. Arch-braced roof: high collars,
capitals with winged angels carrying a scroll, crown, musical instrument, etc.
Whitewashed stone reredos in Victorian Early English style. Various memorials:
on north wall to members of the Crofts and Reade families: on south wall, to
Thomas Read, 1658, and a large monument to John Read and his wife, with their
kneeling figures flanked by those of their 7 children, 1651/2.

Listing NGR: TL9410673620

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.