This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2826 / 52°16'57"N
Longitude: 0.696 / 0°41'45"E
OS Eastings: 583996
OS Northings: 268359
OS Grid: TL839683
Mapcode National: GBR QDD.W6Z
Mapcode Global: VHKCY.0WSK
Entry Name: Church of St Genevieve at Fornham Park
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376908
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284085
Location: Fornham St. Genevieve, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP28
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Fornham St. Genevieve
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Fornham
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
FORNHAM ST GENEVIEVE
TL86NW Church of St Genevieve at Fornham Park
Church tower. Only the ruinous west tower of the former parish church remains; the rest was accidentally burnt down on 24th June 1782. C14. Rubble flint, with freestone quoins; in 3 stages, unbuttressed, with a plain uncrenellated parapet. A 2- light window with cusped heads to lights on all faces of the top stage; a quatrefoil window on the middle stage of the west face, and a lancet on the first stage; a high tower arch on the east.
HISTORY. This tower was consciously retained after the fire to provide a romantic focal point in the landscape park laid out in Fornham Park in the late C18. Capability Brown, who died in 1783, visited Fornham in 1781 and again in 1782 after the fire, and produced schemes for the park and for rebuilding the church, but the extent of his contribution is not certain at present.
Part of a significant group including the surviving service buildings and walled gardens (q.v.).
Listing NGR: TL8399668359
Other nearby listed buildings