History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Guildhall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bardwell, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3263 / 52°19'34"N

Longitude: 0.8478 / 0°50'52"E

OS Eastings: 594160

OS Northings: 273622

OS Grid: TL941736

Mapcode National: GBR RFJ.553

Mapcode Global: VHKCT.NS2H

Entry Name: The Old Guildhall

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Last Amended: 14 December 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376915

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284013

Location: Bardwell, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Bardwell

Built-Up Area: Bardwell

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bardwell St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bardwell

Listing Text

TL 9273 - 9373 BARDWELL QUAKER LANE (NORTH SIDE)

5/36 The Old Guildhall
14.7.55 (Formerly listed as The Guildhall)

- II


Hall of the Guild of S.Peter, converted into 12 almshouses in C16, restored as
2 houses in early 1960's. Late C15. Timber-framed and plastered, with
plaintiled roofs. The east-west range is gabled at the east end, hipped with a
small gablet on the west. 2 storeys: L-shaped form. An internal chimney-stack
to each range. Mid C20 casement windows with square-leaded panes, and C20
doors. 2 small late C17 plaster panels with floral designs reset in the outer
wall of the east-west range above the door. The brickwork at the south side of
the chimney-stack was left exposed following restoration. The interior of the
north-south range has very heavy studding and 2 plain crown-post trusses with
arched braces, and seems to have been built as a 3-bay open hall (cf. the hall
arrangement at Church House, Hawstead, another late C15 guildhall). On a later
cross-wall inside at the south end, a large plaster panel in high relief of
c.1600, showing Abraham about to sacrifice Isaac, set into a surround of
strapwork and scrolls.


Listing NGR: TL9416073622

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.