History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Euston Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Euston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3727 / 52°22'21"N

Longitude: 0.7872 / 0°47'14"E

OS Eastings: 589834

OS Northings: 278620

OS Grid: TL898786

Mapcode National: GBR RDW.7VG

Mapcode Global: VHKCL.LMJF

Entry Name: Euston Hall

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376940

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284149

Location: Euston, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP24

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Euston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Euston St Genevieve

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Rushford

Listing Text

TL 87 NE EUSTON EUSTON PARK

4/28 Euston Hall
14.7.55
GV II*

Mansion. Built for Lord Arlington in the 1660's around the core
of an earlier house: remodelled by Matthew Brettingham in the mid
C18: rebuilt in similar style following a serious fire in 1902,
and halved in size in 1951, when the south and west wings were
demolished. Built of red brick, with balustraded stone parapets
and dressings. 2 storeys and attics, with 3-storey corner
turrets capped by low pyramidal roofs. The north (now principal)
front by Brettingham is very restrained in style: 9 bays, small-
paned sash windows in flush frames, the 3 central windows more
widely spaced. Single-storey porch with flat roof concealed by
cornice and parapet, and semi-circular arched doorway with
rusticated surround. The north range contains a late C17 dog-
leg stair, with bulbous balusters, wide moulded handrail and
hanging finials, a survival from the Arlington House. John
Evelyn, the diarist, spent near a fortnight at Euston Hall in
October 1671, and described it as 'a very noble pile, consisting
of 4 pavilions after the French, (i.e. the angle turrets) beside
a body of a large house... formed of additions to an old
house...with a vase expense made...very magnificent and
commodious'. At that time,. the angle turrets were domed, and
the principal entry in the west range had 'a tall porch with
giant angle pilasters' (Pevsner): the house formed 3 sides of a
courtyard. As remodelled by Brettingham, the turrets were given
pryamidal roofs, resembling those at Holkham Hall, and the centre
of the west front has a 3-bay pediment.. The house at this stage
is illustrated in 'Excursions through Suffolk', 1819, and
described as'large and commodious of a modern date, built of red
brick, and without any gaudy decoration within or without.' Lord
Arlington was a member of Charles II's Cabal, and Lord
Chamberlain. His only daughter and heiress married Henry
Fitzroy, a son of Charles II, who was created Duke of Grafton in
1675. The house has continued to be the seat of the Dukes of
Grafton.


Listing NGR: TL8983478620

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.