History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Fornham All Saints, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2747 / 52°16'29"N

Longitude: 0.6918 / 0°41'30"E

OS Eastings: 583742

OS Northings: 267477

OS Grid: TL837674

Mapcode National: GBR QDL.7QW

Mapcode Global: VHJGN.Y320

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376943

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284068

Location: Fornham All Saints, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP28

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Fornham All Saints

Built-Up Area: Fornham All Saints

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Fornham

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Bury Saint Edmunds

Listing Text

TL 8467-8567 FORNHAM ALL SAINTS THE GREEN (EAST SIDE)

3/4 The Old Rectory
14.7.55

- II

Former rectory. Early C16 core; C18 and early C19 exterior. 2 storeys; set
sideways-on to road. Timber-framed and rendered; part plaintiled, part
slated. The building falls into 2 distinct sections. The earlier range has a
half-H form, with 2 short cross-wings, that on the south east jettied, but on
the north west underbuilt. 2 internal chimney-stacks with large plain square
red brick shafts surmouted by square mid-C19 chimney-pots. Plain bargeboards
to gables; across the centre range the gutters have a row of miniature cast-
iron lions' heads (cf. The Red House, Nethergate Street, Hopton). Small-paned
sash windows in flush frames; half-glazed double doors with an early C19
timber lattice-work porch with tented lead roof. At the extreme east end is
an early C19 semi-circular white brick extension, single-storey, with a flat
lead-covered roof and moulded cornice. Small-paned sash windows in flush
frames; a half-glazed French door. To the west of the older range a large 2
storey extension of circa 1830, timber-framed and rendered, with a hipped
slate roof; 3 window range: small-paned sashes in flush frames with fitted
sunblinds on top. The north-western crosswing of the older range has a plain
crown-post roof, with octagonal crown-post braced only to the collar-purlin;
the vestigial remains of the same roof-type in the south-eastern cross-wing.
The central range of the roof was raised, apparently in the C18, with a few
earlier rafters reused: probably originally an open hall. The house has
associations with Charles Lamb the essayist (1775-1834).


Listing NGR: TL8374267477

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.