History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Culford, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3387 / 52°20'19"N

Longitude: 0.7194 / 0°43'9"E

OS Eastings: 585359

OS Northings: 274663

OS Grid: TL853746

Mapcode National: GBR QCV.8PQ

Mapcode Global: VHKCR.FG5Z

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376953

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284210

Location: Culford, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP31

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Culford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Culford St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Ingham

Listing Text

CULFORD
TL 87 SE
CULFORD HEATH
181/2/14
Church of St Peter
14.7.55

II


Chapel of ease. 1865. ByA. W. Blomfield for Rev. E.R. Benyon. Random kidney flint, with a band of black knapped flint below the eaves and across the gable walls. Plain tiles, and ornamental ridge-tiles. Early English style. Nave and chancel, a vestry on the north side, porch in rustic style at the west end, and a small timber turret over the junction of nave and chancel. 3 2-light windows to nave: cusped plate-tracery and arched surrounds in white brick and black knapped flint. Single-light windows with trefoil heads to chancel. The east window has 3 lancets within a wide encircling arch of flint and brick, the west window is in a heavy rose form, with a central8-pointed circle surrounded by 8 cusped circles. An ornate cross on the apex of each gable. INTERIOR. Set of stained and painted glass by Lavers and Barraud. East and chancel windows have stained glass depicting the Agony, Crucifixion and Christ at Emmaus, Last Supper, Ministry of Christ and Descent of the Spirit. The nave has a series of windows painted in grisaille depicting the life of St. Peter (some elements missing) and the West rose window is of richly patterned foliage in stained glass. Reredos by Maw and Co. Circular font.

Formerly listed as :


TL 87 SE CULFORD CULFORD HEATH

2/14 Church of St. Peter
14.7.55

- II

A chapel of ease, built 1841 by the Rev. E.R. Benyon in early English style.
Random kidney flint, with a band of black knapped flint below the eaves and
across the gable walls. Plaintiles, and ornamental ridge-tiles. Nave and
chancel, a vestry on the north side, porch in rustic style at the west end, and
a small timber turret over the junction of nave and chancel. 3 2-light windows
to nave: cusped plate-tracery and arched surrounds in white brick and black
knapped flint. Single-light windows with trefoil heads to chancel. The east
window has 3 lancets within a wide encircling arch of flint and brick, the west
window is in a heavy rose form, with a central 8-pointed circle surrounded by 8
cusped circles. An ornate cross on the apex of each gable.

Listing NGR: TL8535974663

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.