History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.


A Grade II Listed Building in Hopton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.3728 / 52°22'21"N

Longitude: 0.9288 / 0°55'43"E

OS Eastings: 599471

OS Northings: 279005

OS Grid: TL994790

Mapcode National: GBR SGD.7MW

Mapcode Global: VHKCP.1MWD

Entry Name: Hunters

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Last Amended: 25 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376968

English Heritage Legacy ID: 284407

Location: Hopton, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP22

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

Civil Parish: Hopton

Built-Up Area: Hopton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hopton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


3/54 Hunters (formerly listed
14.7.55 as Church Farmhouse)


Former farmhouse. Early C17. 2 storeys and attics; 2-cell lobby-entrance
plan; 3 bays. Timber-framed and plastered, with simple comb-pargetting in
panels; thatched roof. Internal chimney-stack with a plain red brick shaft.
Various 3-light casement windows, some C20; an early C19 2-light window over
the door, with transom and pointed Gothic heads to lights. 6-panelled
central door, with sunk panels; late C20 replaced surround in Georgian style
with triangular pediment. The interior has exposed timbering: widely-spaced
studs; main ceiling-beams with ovolo-mouldings and stops, to the east of the
stack with joists set flat, to the west with joists set on edge; large open
fireplaces: to the east of the stack with a wide shallow red brick arch, and
to the west with an ovolo-moulded lintel. Original attic floor with windows
in the gable ends: roof in 5 bays, with clasped purlins and windbraces from
principal rafters to purlins. A C19 single-storey brick lean-to with pantiled
roof all along rear. On the west side of the house, a 2-storey addition
built in 1947 replaces an older timber-framed section, and is not included in
the listing.

Listing NGR: TL9947179005

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.