History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Ancient House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Peasenhall, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2713 / 52°16'16"N

Longitude: 1.4517 / 1°27'5"E

OS Eastings: 635590

OS Northings: 269292

OS Grid: TM355692

Mapcode National: GBR XPK.FV9

Mapcode Global: VHM7G.35SP

Entry Name: The Ancient House

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 21 December 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377194

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285303

Location: Peasenhall, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP17

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Peasenhall

Built-Up Area: Peasenhall

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Peasenhall

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Peasenhall

Listing Text

TM 36 NE PEASENHALL CHURCH STREET (east side)

9/65 The Ancient House
- (formerly listed as
25.10.51. Ancient House)

GV II*


House. Mid C16 core, early-mid C18 facade; extensive late C19 additions to
rear and right hand side (one part dated 1886). Timber framed, the facade
roughcast rendered, colourwashed brick to right hand gable end, later
additions in red brick; plaintiled roof with crest tiles. 2 storeys and
attic. 8 windows, C18 sashes with glazing bars in flush frames; asymmetrical
doorway with Roman Doric pilasters, entablature with triglyph frieze and
pedimented cornice; 8-panel raised and fielded door; wooden modillion eaves
cornice. Internal stack and gable end stack to right hand side. The left
hand gable end is plastered with a late C19 2-storey canted bay; in the gable
over the bay are some C16 pargetted motifs re-used from the original gable end
of the house. Fully panelled entrance hall with C17 panelling and some re-
used linenfold panelling around the fireplace. The drawing room has mid C18
panelling: to either side of the fireplace are fine semi-circular recesses
with coved ceilings painted with fruit and flowers, and both recesses and the
fireplace have wooden surrounds carved with ribbons and wreaths. One late C19
rear window contains 3 early C16 heraldic shields, said to come from the now
demolished rear wing of the house. The late C19 additions to the south are
not of special interest.


Listing NGR: TM3559069292

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.