History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Westwood Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Blythburgh, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3062 / 52°18'22"N

Longitude: 1.6139 / 1°36'50"E

OS Eastings: 646465

OS Northings: 273715

OS Grid: TM464737

Mapcode National: GBR YXB.DVB

Mapcode Global: VHM7B.X9LD

Entry Name: Westwood Lodge

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 16 January 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377196

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285524

Location: Blythburgh, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP19

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Blythburgh

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Blythburgh Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Blythburgh

Listing Text

TM 47 SE BLYTHBURGH

4/8 Westwood Lodge (formerly
listed as Blythburgh
25.10.51 Lodge including stables)

GV II


Former manor house. West wing mid C16, east wing added 1652-6, central section
also mid C17; considerably altered, especially in mid C19 when the original
crowstepped gables were removed, the eaves raised (except on the east side of
the west wing), a new roof built over the old one and the white brick facade
added. H shape plan. Red brick, the east wing with traces of the original
diaper work in dark headers, white brick facade to south; slated roof with
hipped gables to south, some glazed pantiles to west wing. 2 storeys and attic.
South front has 5 window range, 1:3:1, mostly sashes, some casements, flat
brick arches; small asymmetrical entrance porch with stone cornice and brick
balustrade above; 4-panel door, rectangular fanlight. West wing with some
original window openings with hood moulds and one original doorway; crowstepped
gable to north, only the east slope (with base of pinnacle at eaves level)
being original. 2 massive external stacks to west wing, one to east wing, the
upper sections rebuilt in C19. Interior of west wing has fine heavily beamed
ground floor ceiling.


Listing NGR: TM4646573715

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.