This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1161 / 52°6'58"N
Longitude: 1.2739 / 1°16'25"E
OS Eastings: 624244
OS Northings: 251478
OS Grid: TM242514
Mapcode National: GBR VNL.BVX
Mapcode Global: VHLBP.129M
Entry Name: Lowood
Listing Date: 16 March 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377206
English Heritage Legacy ID: 285471
Location: Hasketon, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Hasketon
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Hasketon St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 25 SW
House. Early C19, with additions of c.1903. Painted red Flemish bond
brick with a slate roof and lead flashings. Two storeys and attic.
Entrance front: 3 bays symmetrically disposed. Central doorway, the door
having 8 panels, the upper 4 glazed and the lower 4 raised and fielded,
with a fanlight above. Before this is a classical porch approached by 3
steps with Tuscan columns at either side and a plain entablature with
dentils and plain mutule blocks. To either side are tripartite bow windows
which have central curved sash windows of 3x4 panes which are horned and
dividing these fluted mullions, again dentilled and with mutule blocks to
the moulded cornices. The porch and lateral bows have flat lead roofs and
wrought iron balustrades of C20 date. To the first floor the central bay
projects slightly and there are 3 sash windows of 3x4 panes, all horned.
To the attic are 3 dormer windows with flat heads and sash windows of
3 x 4 panes with moulded cornices. Right hand side: gable end at left with
an arched window to the ground floor at left and projecting late-C19
conservatory with a lean-to roof and wing at right of this of c.1903 with
randomly disposed fenestration. Left hand side: 2-storey addition with a
ground floor window of 4 lights having pilaster buttresses at either side
and a hipped roof. Recessed wing at left of this with randomly disposed
Interior: drawing room, white variegated marble chimney piece with scroll
brackets to the sides supporting a mantel shelf with panels at either side
and above. Moulded dado rail and a 6-panel door with raised and fielded
panels and fluted and gadrooned surround with roundels to the upper
corners. Round-headed niches at either side of the hearth. Dining room:
similar arrangement of central chimney piece with lateral arched niches.
Inserted late-C19 chimney piece. Staircase of 2 flights with 1/4-turns to
the bottom and top, moulded mahogany newel posts ramped handrail and stick
balusters. Hob grates to some first floor rooms and further, similar
staircase up to attic level.
Listing NGR: TM2424451478
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings