History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Town House

A Grade II Listed Building in Bredfield, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1285 / 52°7'42"N

Longitude: 1.3128 / 1°18'46"E

OS Eastings: 626844

OS Northings: 252976

OS Grid: TM268529

Mapcode National: GBR WPS.GQP

Mapcode Global: VHLBH.PRWN

Entry Name: The Town House

Listing Date: 31 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377214

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285408

Location: Bredfield, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Bredfield

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Bredfield St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Debach

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 23/09/2015

TM 25 SE
3/44

BREDFIELD
THE STREET (West side)
The Town House

(Formerly listed as Church Cottage)

GV
II
House, originally almshouse. c.1655 (recorded in parish accounts) with C18
and C20 additions. Timber framed with brick plinth and plain tile roof and
brick chimney stacks. Single storey with attic. Entrance front: C20
fenestration, having at ground floor level at far right one 3-light window
and to left of this a single-light and then two 2-light windows and at far
left a further single-light window. To the first floor at right is a
gabled dormer window, flush with the wall of 2 lights and at left of this a
C20 lead-glazed similar window. To far right is a single-storey addition
with gabled roof, which has a 4-light C20 metal casement window to right
and a doorway at left with glazed panel. To left of the house and flush
with it is a further C20 single-storey addition which has a 1/2-glazed
doorway at right. Massive ridge chimney stack to left of centre. The
right hand gable end had a 2-light casement window to the attics and the
left hand gable end is similar. Rear: blank walling with outshuts at right
and left, each having one single-light addition. To the first floor of the
central portion are two 2-light gabled dormer windows.

Interior: close studded walling and chamfered ceiling beams supported on
plain wall posts to the C17 portion.


Listing NGR: TM2684452976

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.