History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wistaria

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hacheston, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1828 / 52°10'57"N

Longitude: 1.3755 / 1°22'31"E

OS Eastings: 630855

OS Northings: 259208

OS Grid: TM308592

Mapcode National: GBR WP9.0L7

Mapcode Global: VHLBB.SDJJ

Entry Name: Wistaria

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 19 November 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285890

Location: Hacheston, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Hacheston

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Hacheston All Saints

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Parham

Listing Text

TM 35 NW HACHESTON THE STREET
(east side)

11/118 Wistaria

25.10.51 (previously
listed as
Wisteria
Cottage)

GV II*


House, part now a shop. Main range dated 'IOHAN ROZER A.D.1541'
on chimneybreast; C17 additions to right hand side and rear, the
right hand extension linking with The Forge (q.v.). Timber
framed, the facade with colourwashed brick casing to ground floor
and exposed timbering above; red brick casing to rear; roof
plaintiled to front and pantiled to rear. 2 storeys; the
original house had a jettied first floor, now largely underbuilt,
the surviving jettied section with one carved buttress shaft.
Main range with 4 windows, various casements; cross passage
entry with mid C20 glazed door; internal stack with 2 bricks
inscribed 'IR'and a central one defaced; 2 original mullion
windows to rear. Right hand extension with one window range,
casements, C20 boarded door, internal stack. The right hand
gable end has a carved tie beam, probably re-used when the
original house was extended. Main ground floor room with roll-
moulded beams and a door with linenfold carving; a beam over the
fireplace is carved with 3 shields; over an internal doorway by
the stack is an original painted panel with the words 'Yf god be
wyth us Who ys a gaynst us' and 2 figures to either side; good
queen post roof. The oldest dated house in the county.
Proceedings of the Suffolk Institute of Archaeology Vol.29
(pp.345-7).


Listing NGR: TM3085559208

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.