History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Andrew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rushmere St. Andrew, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0694 / 52°4'9"N

Longitude: 1.2029 / 1°12'10"E

OS Eastings: 619615

OS Northings: 246061

OS Grid: TM196460

Mapcode National: GBR VP2.BXQ

Mapcode Global: VHLBT.S7SZ

Entry Name: Church of St Andrew

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377298

English Heritage Legacy ID: 285976

Location: Rushmere St. Andrew, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP5

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Rushmere St. Andrew

Built-Up Area: Rushmere St Andrew

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Rushmere St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Westerfield

Listing Text

TM 14 NE RUSHMERE ST. ANDREW

3/14 Church of St. Andrew
16.3.66

- II*

Church. Mediaeval; but almost rebuilt apart from tower in 1861 by E.C.
Hakewill. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle. Two major extensions were
added 1968: an east nave with aisles to north and south, and a kitchen/vestry
extension to north-west; both are in brown brick. The C19 walling is of flint
rubble with freestone dressings; the tower also includes rubble of limestone
and brick. Plaintiled roofs. Mid C12 south doorway, with arch of 2 zigzag-
carved orders, and spiral-carved shafts with scalloped capitals; the door is
late-mediaeval with C19 and C20 alterations. Bequests of 1496/7 and 1521/22
made for payment of full cost of tower. West doorway with heavy square
hoodmould, and in the arch spandrels are the arms of Thomas Sampson (d.1439)
and his wife Margery (nee Felbrigg); this may suggest that the tower was begun
in mid C15. Above the doorway is a 3-light west window of 1861. 2-light
belfry windows, lion-head gargoyles and flushwork-panelled parapets; at the
corners are figures representing the evangelists, added 1861. The nave and
chancel were rebuilt in the Early English style in 1861, but the Norman south
doorway was dismantled and rebuilt. The roof was reconstructed with earlier
components: alternating tie-beam and hammer-beam trusses in six-and-a-half
bays, apparently of c.1600. 2 sets of 9 benches by William Poley, c.1861,
have good poppyhead standards with angel and animal figures, said to be close
copies of C15 benches found at the time of restoration. In the aisle floor
are 4 C18 ledger slabs, and another to William Seely (d.1660). Some good
stained glass of c.1861.


Listing NGR: TM1961546061

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.