History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Red House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Witnesham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1075 / 52°6'26"N

Longitude: 1.1918 / 1°11'30"E

OS Eastings: 618669

OS Northings: 250266

OS Grid: TM186502

Mapcode National: GBR VNH.VHV

Mapcode Global: VHLBM.L9X8

Entry Name: Red House

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377322

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286015

Location: Witnesham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP6

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Witnesham

Built-Up Area: Witnesham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Witnesham St Mary

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Witnesham

Listing Text

TM 15 SE WITNESHAM TUDDENHAM LANE

1/53 Red House
16.3.66

- II*

Farmhouse. Mid C16 with alterations of c.1600 and C17. 3-cell cross-passage
entrance plan; hall range with 2 crosswings. 2 storeys; the left-hand parlour
cross-wing of c.1600 with attics. Red brick, mainly C16 work with
alterations, some original diaper patterning in burnt headers. The parlour
wing is mainly timber-framed with brick-nogging, with only its front wall of
brick; corner pilasters, moulded band at 1st floor, and crow-stepped parapet
gable. Plaintiled roof with internal C17 chimney of red brick; a central
raking dormer. Mainly late C18 or C19 wooden windows with slender mullions
and transomes and metal casements; those in the parlour wing are set into
reduced original openings, with pediments of carved brick at ground and 1st
floors. C17 plank entrance door with open C20 lean-to plaintiled porch. The
mid C16 hall has a plank and muntin cross-passage screen, probably
repositioned; in the chamber above is an original mullioned window of wood,
with later leaded glazing. The parlour, probably added c.1600, has a fine
plaster ceiling, with mouldings encasing the main beams and a running
strapwork pattern on the soffit. In each quadrant are repeated floral
designs. Also in the parlour is a C16 ogee-headed linenfold panelled door;
the arched head of the doorway has rosette-carved spandrils. To right is an
extension of the service wing in red brick, of C16 or early C17.


Listing NGR: TM1866950266

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.