History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clock Tower 40 Metres South of Orwell Park School

A Grade II Listed Building in Nacton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0093 / 52°0'33"N

Longitude: 1.2306 / 1°13'50"E

OS Eastings: 621809

OS Northings: 239470

OS Grid: TM218394

Mapcode National: GBR VPP.ZYL

Mapcode Global: VHLC1.8RXJ

Entry Name: Clock Tower 40 Metres South of Orwell Park School

Listing Date: 20 May 1985

Last Amended: 16 September 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377338

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286193

Location: Nacton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP10

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Nacton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Nacton

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Shotley

Listing Text

In the entry for NACTON ORWELL PARK Clock tower 40 metres
5/27
Clock tower 40 metres
south of Orwell Park
House

the address shall be amended to read ORWELL PARK

Clock tower 40 metres
south of Orwell Park
School

------------------------------------

TM 23 NW NACTON ORWELL PARK

5/27 Clock tower 40 metres
- south of Orwell park
House

GV II

Clocktower, 1859, for George Tomline, MP. In the Baroque manner. Red brick
with dressings of limestone. The base stage is of banded rusticated brickwork
and on each face is an open archway with semicircular heads of gauged brick.
At each corner is a pair of clasping buttresses, each with a surmounting stone
pier and ball finial; from that level shallow clasping buttresses rise the
full height. A stone string course at mid-height rises over a central panel
with the monogram G.T. on 2 faces and the date 1859 on a 3rd. A clock
enclosed by a stone frame is immediately below semicircular-headed belfry
openings (single on 3 sides, paired on the south side). The parapets have a
heavy stone cornice and open balustrading, with pyramid finials on piers at
the corners. At the north-east corner is a slender full-height stair turret,
of circular plan and almost detached.


Listing NGR: TM2180939470

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.