History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Unitarian Chapel

A Grade II* Listed Building in Framlingham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2225 / 52°13'20"N

Longitude: 1.3429 / 1°20'34"E

OS Eastings: 628423

OS Northings: 263519

OS Grid: TM284635

Mapcode National: GBR WNN.QB5

Mapcode Global: VHLB4.7D9L

Entry Name: Unitarian Chapel

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Last Amended: 18 December 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377354

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286295

Location: Framlingham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Framlingham

Built-Up Area: Framlingham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Framlingham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Framlingham

Listing Text

TL 26 SE FRAMLINGHAM BRIDGE STREET

4/17 Unitarian Chapel (formerly
7.12.66 listed as Unitarian Meeting
House)
GV II*

A Unitarian meeting-house, formerly Presbyterian. Erected 1717. In red brick
with dark headers; hipped, slate roof; brick band. 2 storeys. 3 cross
windows to upper storey, and one similar window to the ground storey,
centrally placed between 2 flush entrance-doors in plain surrounds. The
interior has an original west gallery supported on Tuscan columns, with
bolection-moulded panels divided by moulded flat pilasters. At the east end
is a large pulpit with steps at each side, and a bench with a high boarded
back and triangular pediment topped by a dove standing on a globe. The front
has raised fielded panels and a row of miniature balusters. Late C19 benches.
The windows have their original wrought-iron fittings. Above one window on
the north side a painted wooden plaque, in the form of a flaming urn, in
memory of Sarah Toms of Hadleigh, d.1809. Money for building the chapel was
bequeathed under the will of William Mayhew, the 'faithful servant' of Thomas
Mills, in 1713.


Listing NGR: TM2842363519

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.