This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1177 / 52°7'3"N
Longitude: 1.3358 / 1°20'8"E
OS Eastings: 628472
OS Northings: 251849
OS Grid: TM284518
Mapcode National: GBR WQ0.8JG
Mapcode Global: VHLBQ.31JC
Entry Name: St Audrys Hospital Administation Block
Listing Date: 11 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377362
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286237
Location: Melton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP12
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Melton
Built-Up Area: Melton (Suffolk Coastal)
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Melton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 25 SE MELTON YARMOUTH ROAD
1120-/1/32 St Audry's Hospital,
GV 11/06/85 II
Former Loes & Wilford Union Workhouse, now disused mental hospital. 1765-67. Converted to Suffolk County Asylum, 1827-29, and remodelled 1844 by Scott & Moffatt. Red brick with ashlar dressings and gabled and hipped plain tile roofs. Central ridge stack and 2 side wall stacks. Plinth and first floor band. 2 storeys plus attics: H-plan. Windows mostly boarded at time of survey. Those in the original building mostly renewed 1844, with white brick surrounds. In the centre of the east front, an entrance block, 1827, probably the Superintendent's quarters. 2 storeys plus attics: 5 window range. Central brick portico with elliptical arched opening, cornice and cast iron balcony railing. On either side, 2 windows, and above, 5 smaller windows. Above again, a pedimented gable with 3 small glazing bar sashes, and a blocked central opening above. Returns have 2 windows, some blank. All these windows have brick flat arches. Side ranges have regular fenestration, 5 windows, 1844, and above, 3 box dormers. East wings have 3 windows on each floor, mostly original, with segmental heads. North east wing has ground floor blank to right. South east wing has central doorway. Attached to the south east wing, a single storey projection with hipped roof and doorway to south, possibly a chapel. Inner returns of the wings have 3 windows, 1844, on each floor, and 2 box dormers above. Outer returns have irregular fenestration,1844. Longer west wings are lower and narrower. Approx. 14 windows, 1844, with some alterations. Interior: original ranges have principal rafter roofs with butt purlins, and C 19 trefoil-pierced tracery above the tie beam. West wings have usual mid C 19 arrangement, with small secure rooms off a wide corridor. Entrance block has a wooden open well stair with turned balusters. Superintendent's quarters have moulded doorcases and cornices, and several rooms with round arched niches.
Listing NGR: TM2847251849
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings