History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2 and 4, Double Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Framlingham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2218 / 52°13'18"N

Longitude: 1.3452 / 1°20'42"E

OS Eastings: 628581

OS Northings: 263454

OS Grid: TM285634

Mapcode National: GBR WNN.QWY

Mapcode Global: VHLB4.8FH3

Entry Name: 2 and 4, Double Street

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377384

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286350

Location: Framlingham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Framlingham

Built-Up Area: Framlingham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Framlingham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Framlingham

Listing Text

TM 26 SE
4/72

FRAMLINGHAM,
DOUBLE STREET (SOUTH EAST SIDE),
No.2 and No.4

25.10.51

GV II

House, divided into 2; formerly The Farriers' Arms. Late C17/early C18. 2
storeys and attics. A small wing at the rear, the same date as the front
range. Colourwashed brick front with band; red brick to sides and rear; dark
headers to part; tumbled gable on the south-west. An internal chimney-stack
with a plain red brick shaft. 4 windows: small-paned sashes in flush frames
with flat gauged arches; one blank panel on upper floor. 2 8-panel fielded
doors, the top 2 panels glazed; panelled pilasters and entablature. Main
beams only exposed inside; 2 large open fireplaces with plain timber lintels
to the internal chimney stack. The rear wing contains a fine dog-leg stair
with turned balusters, wreathed handrail, open string and bracketed ends to
the treads. Roof in 11 narrow bays: 2 rows of stepped butt purlins, their
ends pared-off at the junction with the principal rafters; assembly marks.
The deeds of the property are said to go back to 1702.


Listing NGR: TM2858163454

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.