History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clopton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Clopton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1281 / 52°7'41"N

Longitude: 1.2387 / 1°14'19"E

OS Eastings: 621776

OS Northings: 252704

OS Grid: TM217527

Mapcode National: GBR VNC.G0X

Mapcode Global: VHLBG.FR6Y

Entry Name: Clopton Hall

Listing Date: 16 March 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377397

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286433

Location: Clopton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Clopton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Clopton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Otley

Listing Text

CLOPTON GRUNDISBURGH ROAD
TM 25 SW
(West Side)
8/19 Clopton Hall
16/3/66
- II

Manor house. C16 and C17 with late C18/early C19 refacing to part. Timber
framed with colourwashed render and Flemish bond brick facing to part and
plaintile roof. Two storeys with attic. Entrance front: recessed central
portion with projecting hipped wings to either side. Central portion
refaced in brick and now near-central doorway with 6-panel door, moulded
doorcase having central winged cherub's head to the frieze and a pediment
above. To right of this is a Venetian window with C20 metal-framed
fenestration. To left is a 3-light casement with a cambered head and to
the first floor are two 3-light metal-framed C20 casements and at far right
a single-light casement. The right hand projecting C16 wing has a canted
ground floor oriel with much renewed timber having moulded mullions with
angle beads and a transom, of 5 lights supported on brackets with moulded
sill and lipped roof. To the fist floor a 5-light casement with diamond-
section mullions. To the attic is a 2-light gabled dormer. Exposed
timbers encompassing large panels of pargetted plaster to both floors on
this wing. The left hand flank of this wing has a 4-light ground floor
window. Left hand wing: deep brick plinth, ground floor 3-light C20 metal-
framed casement and a similar first floor window and a 2-light gabled
dormer. Right hand side: to the ground floor is a continuous window to the
top of the wall divided into 4 bays by wall posts, each having 6 lights
with diamond-section mullions. To the 2nd bay from left are 6 further
lower lights, divided from the top lights by a decorated transom. There
appears to have been a similar arrangement to the first floor which is now
partially blocked. Similar, low, 6-light window with decorated transom to
the second bay from left and a 3-light top window to the bay at far right.
Left hand side: brick window to the ground floor with cross window at right
of centre and a 3-light C20 casement at left. One 2-light C19 casement at
left and a 3-light C17 window with ovolo-moulded mullions and transom at
right and arched single-light window between these. Rear: outshut to the
centre of the rear with a catslide roof. The wing at left of this is
recessed and has a 2-light C20 casement within an earlier surround to the
ground floor and a 2-light metal-framed casement to the first floor at
right within earlier surround. Three-light window with diamond-section
mullions above this. To the gable which has the date 1947 referring to the
refacing to a pargetted panel is a 2-light window. To the centre of the
outshut is a 2-storey projecting gabled wing which bears the date 1958.
Gabled dormer window to right of this bearing the date 1929. The recessed
gable wing at far right has exposed wall posts and a heavily cambered tie
beam.

Interior: Dining-room: chimneybreast with Jacobean overmantel having 3
arched panels divided and flanked by trios of colonnettes, standing on
miniature plinths with diamond rustication and with bands to their lower
bodies. Dentilled cornice above with domed ovals to the frieze and
strapwork panels at either side. Chamfered C17 beams to the ceiling with
decorative end stops. C18 pine panelling to this room. The drawing room
in the C16 wing which was formerly divided into 2 rooms has C17 panelling,
perhaps brought from elsewhere with moulded muntins and crossrails.
Overmantel dated 1617 having 2 arched panels with marquetry inlay and
incised scroll decorations, several C20 panels.


Listing NGR: TM2177652704

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.