History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Manor House

A Grade II Listed Building in Clopton, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1366 / 52°8'11"N

Longitude: 1.2462 / 1°14'46"E

OS Eastings: 622247

OS Northings: 253668

OS Grid: TM222536

Mapcode National: GBR VNC.3VF

Mapcode Global: VHLBG.KK5G

Entry Name: Manor House

Listing Date: 15 August 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377399

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286438

Location: Clopton, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Clopton

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Clopton St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Otley

Listing Text

CLOPTON MANOR ROAD
TM 25 SW
(East side)
8/24 Manor House
17/7/71
- II

House. C16. Timber-framed with colourwashed render and brick with a
plaintile roof, originally thatched. Two storeys. Entrance front: close
studded walling with arched braces. C20 door at right with a 2-light
window to right of that, all the fenestration on this front being of C20
date. To left of this is a 4-light window with 4-centered heads to the
lights and to the far left is a 3-light window. The first floor has a 3-
light window at left, a 4-light window at centre with 4-centered heads to
the lights and a 2-light window at far right. Deep plinth of Flemish bond
brick with 2 off-sets. Save for the first floor window at far left all the
fenestration has been heavily restored in the C20 with diamond-section
mullions. The ground and first floor 4-light windows are divided by a deep
moulded transom which may have been brought from elsewhere. To the ridge
at left is a stack of 2 flues. The right hand gable end has brick walling
to the ground floor with a 5-light C20 casement at right. The first floor
has a 4-light casement with diamond-shaped mullions and a single light to
the attic. The left hand gable end is of brick and has a 4-light ground
floor window and 3 and 2-light windows to the first and attic floors.
Outshut to left of this with a stable door. Rear: lean-to outshut at right
with a 3-light and a single-light window and at left of this a projecting
gabled porch with C20 arched door. In the re-entrant angle at right is a
5-light window with moulded mullions and to the first floor above this a 2-
light long window.

Interior: Not inspected at the time of resurvey (1987). The description
of 1971 records it as having an inserted floor of c.1600 to the hall, a
screen passage with a pair of 4-centered door heads, a cross-wall with
curved braces, further exposed timber elsewhere and fireplaces with 4-
centered heads.


Listing NGR: TM2224753668

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.