History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Garden House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Framlingham, Suffolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.2201 / 52°13'12"N

Longitude: 1.3418 / 1°20'30"E

OS Eastings: 628363

OS Northings: 263249

OS Grid: TM283632

Mapcode National: GBR WNN.XPZ

Mapcode Global: VHLB4.6GQF

Entry Name: Garden House

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Last Amended: 18 December 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377411

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286402

Location: Framlingham, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

District: Suffolk Coastal

Civil Parish: Framlingham

Built-Up Area: Framlingham

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Framlingham St Michael

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


4/124 Garden House (formerly
listed as Mills House)


House. Late C16 and later. 2 storeys; L-shaped form. Timber-framed and
plastered, with panels of rope-pattern on the side and ashlar-lining on the
front. Plaintiles; plain bargeboards; spike finial to gable. The east-west
range is the oldest part of the building, with a 3-cell internal chimney and
cross-entry plan: chimney-stack with a plain red brick shaft; projecting
tie-beam to the east gable with guilloche ornament, supported by small solid
brackets; 3 C18 mullion-and-transome windows with leaded panes. The street
frontage is a later addition, linked to the older house by an internal
chimney-stack with 2 square attached white brick shafts. 4 winnows: old 2-
light and 3-light casements to the upper storey; small-paned sashes in flush
frames to the ground storey; a 6-panelled door with 4 panels glazed. This was
the house of Thomas Mills (d.1703), and he and his 'faithful servant' William
Mayhew are buried in the mausoleum in the front garden. (cf. Item 4/125

Listing NGR: TM2836363249

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.