This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3719 / 51°22'18"N
Longitude: -0.3726 / 0°22'21"W
OS Eastings: 513372
OS Northings: 164910
OS Grid: TQ133649
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.6QS
Mapcode Global: VHFTZ.HSC4
Entry Name: Esher Place
Listing Date: 7 February 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377431
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286725
Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT10
Electoral Ward/Division: Esher
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Esher
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Esher
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE, Esher
ESHER PLACE AVENUE,
No. 30 (Esher Place)
House, now conference centre. South wing 1805, the remains of a house by Lapidge,
extended in 1895-8 by G.T. Robinson and Duchene for the first Viscount D'Abernon,
in C18 French Style. Red brick with stone dressings, hipped slate roofs with
irregularly placed stone panelled stacks. Centre block with two wings projecting
forward at c 45 degrees to form polygonal courtyard to front. 2 storeys to wings,
3 storeys with 3 bay attic to centre and "bulls eye" window in stone, segmental
surround above, oval dormer windows under projecting hoods to either side. Stone
plinth and cornice over ground floor , deep bracket cornice over first floor centre,
dentilled to first floor right. Wing to left of 8 bays, stone dressed casement
windows under cambered heads with scroll keystone, rusticated end bay projecting,
first floor set back under moulded eaves. Wing to right- 4 bays end bay projecting.
Casement windows in stone strip surrounds, angle bay window rising through 2 floors
with balustrade top to junction of wing and main block.
Main block: brick bay to right containing arched window in roll moulded surround
behind oval stone balcony with wrought iron hand rail on 2 moulded brackets to first
floor. Circular window below. 3 bay centre to left on stone rusticated plinth, end
bays projecting. Articulated with paired Ionic pilasters across the first floor.
Arched casement windows with stone surrounds breaking into cornice on first floor,
camber head windows with block keystones to outer ground floor bays. Centre bay
recessed behind stone balustrade on first floor with central coved cartouche. Triple
arched and glazed casement doors below.
Garden front: 3 bay centre with quoined edges, 2 circular bays to outer ends. C20
extensions in similar style to left end, further C20 extensions to right.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p223.
Listing NGR: TQ1337264910
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings