This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3715 / 51°22'17"N
Longitude: -0.4656 / 0°27'56"W
OS Eastings: 506901
OS Northings: 164725
OS Grid: TQ069647
Mapcode National: GBR 2B.79S
Mapcode Global: VHFTX.WS6G
Entry Name: Bridge over the River Wey
Listing Date: 16 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377447
English Heritage Legacy ID: 286589
Location: Runnymede, Surrey, KT13
Electoral Ward/Division: Weybridge Riverside
Built-Up Area: Weybridge
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Weybridge
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 06 SE BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE BRIDGE ROAD
374/4/14 Bridge over the
Bridge over River Wey. Built in 1865 to design of C H Howell, County Surveyor of Surrey and the founder of the cast sections was the firm of Hennet, Spink and Else, whose name is displayed at the crown of each arch. Impressed in many of the bricks forming the parapet wall is Joseph Hamblet, Oldbury, Birmingham, 1865. Grey brick piers with stone coping and dressings, cast iron arches and balustrading. Comprises three cast iron elliptical arches with openwork panels having spans of 43ft 6inches with a total length of 183 ft. The width between parapets is 24 ft 4 inches. Each span has 6 cast iron ribs. The piers and abutments are brick and stone faced and the balustrades, about 4 feet in height are of cast-iron interlinked hoops on stone plinth. Weybridge was named after a bridge across the river Wey, the first reference to a bridge here being in 675AD in a document relating to Chertsey Abbey. In 1571 the narrow wooden bridge was suitable only for horses. In 1808 a bridge with 13 wooden arches was built for vehicles and the present bridge replaced it. A new road bridge 50 yards downstream was opened in 1945 reducing the traffic and accounts for the unaltered condition of this bridge. Weybridge and the Resolven bridge/aqueduct for the vale of Neath railway are the only structures known to have been associated with either George Hennet or the firm of Hennet, Spink and Else which have survived in original condition.
Listing NGR: TQ0690164725
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings