History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in Elmbridge, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3529 / 51°21'10"N

Longitude: -0.4301 / 0°25'48"W

OS Eastings: 509418

OS Northings: 162707

OS Grid: TQ094627

Mapcode National: GBR 36.J8M

Mapcode Global: VHFV4.H8H6

Entry Name: Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 16 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377485

English Heritage Legacy ID: 286894

Location: Elmbridge, Surrey, KT12

County: Surrey

District: Elmbridge

Town: Elmbridge

Electoral Ward/Division: Weybridge St George's Hill

Built-Up Area: Weybridge

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Hersham

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Weybridge

Listing Text

TQ 0962 BOROUGH OF ELMBRIDGE OCTAGON ROAD

Whiteley Village

10/324 Church of St. Mark

GV II

Church. 1912 by Sir Walter Tapper. Rendered, on smooth ashlar plinth with ashlar
dressings, plain tiled roofs, rendered over aisles. Cruciform plan. Gothic style of
c 1300 with south porch and central crossing tower. 3 bay chancel to east over
crypt where ground slopes away. Central tower with polygonal turret to south east
corner, louvred lancet windows to each face and projecting coping on corbels. Pyramidal
roof and weathervane over. 2-light windows on cill band to nave and chancel, 5-light
transept and east and west windows with minimal tracery. Gabled and buttressed
south porch with decorative shields over the arch. Ribbed and planked door inside.

Interior : Woodblock floor, stone in ailses. 4 bay nave arcade, west bay with screen
across, on compound piers of quatrefoil section under moulded capitals. Crossing
and chancel arches with corbel bands, flat, panelled wooden ceiling to crossing.
Arched panelled and painted wooden chancel roof with floral bosses.

Fittings: Triple arched Sedelia and Piscina on south chancel wall. Original painted
organ to north side of chance 1. Panelled and arcaded wooden pulpit. Octagonal
sandstone font with ogee head panels below, metal tent shape cover above.

Whiteley Village was provided by William Whiteley of Whitley's stores for thrifty
old folk and was laid out on octagonal lines by Frank Atkinson, employing leading
architects of the day. .
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp520-1.


Listing NGR: TQ0941862707

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.