This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3469 / 51°20'48"N
Longitude: -0.6031 / 0°36'11"W
OS Eastings: 497380
OS Northings: 161797
OS Grid: SU973617
Mapcode National: GBR FB4.JBG
Mapcode Global: VHFV1.HDHS
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 28 February 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377490
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287137
Location: Chobham, Surrey Heath, Surrey, GU24
District: Surrey Heath
Civil Parish: Chobham
Built-Up Area: Chobham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Chobham with Valley End
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 96SE CHOBHAM C.P. HIGH STREET (east side)
5/68 Church of St. Lawrence
Church. C12 with C15 south aisle and C16 west porch; restored and north aisle
added in 1866 by Benjamin Ferrey, chancel and south transept added in 1898.
Heathstone tower, puddingstone and heathstone chequer work to south aisle with
puddingstone cladding and heathstone quoining to chancel: brick extensions to
north east and timber framed porch to west. Plain tiled roofs sweeping down over
south aisle with Horsham slab eaves courses, lead spike over tower with ribbed
chevron decoration and metal weathervane finial. Aisled nave with transept to
south, tower and porch to west, chancel with extensions to north on east end.
Buttressed two stage tower with stair turret to south east angle, battlemented
parapet and 2 light round arched openings to top stage containing a clock on
all faces. Gabled porch to west face of tower with pointed arched entrance
and scalloped bargeboards. C15 stone dressed 3-light windows to south aisle,
remainder C19, with plate-tracery to north chancel chapel windows. West door in
arched stone surround, doubled,planked and studded doors with strapwork hinges.
Further studded and arched door to south.
Interior:- Stone floor, 4 bay nave arcades, that to the south C12. West bay
with very heavy square pillars, circular piers to remaining bays carrying multi-
scalloped capitals, supporting pointed arches with slight chamfer. C19 coupled
column arcade to north with foliage capitals. Crown post roofs with decorated
wall plates and panelled ceilings. C19 chancel arch on scalloped corbels. 3
bay chancel with scissor brace type roof construction. Unique south aisle roof
with corbels supporting detached posts with arches from the posts to the roof
rafters.; wind-braces between wall plate and purlin.
Fittings:- Mainly C20. C17 wood font, one of 3 survivals in Surrey. Panelled
octagonal bowl on stone stem and plinth with Acorn finial to font cover. C20
War memorial screen across west end.
Monuments:- South chancel wall - Dedicated to Anthony Thomas. 1723. Grey
veined marble gadrooned top with cartouche and winged skulls. Apron and cherubs
heads below. North chancel wall:- Dedicated to Sir William Abdy. Died 1803.
Polychrome marble tablet with pyramid over square, inscription plate and fluted
Monument dedicated to Mrs. Bainbridge. Died 1827. Tablet with mourning woman.
Monument to Thomas Bainbridge.Died 1853. By H. Hopper.
PEVSNER:- Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) pp. 157-8
A. CLIFTON TAYLOR & A.S. IRESON : English Stone Building (1983) pp. 34-5
i11. 17 & 18.
V.C.H. - SURREY. Vol. III p.414.
Listing NGR: SU9738061797
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings