History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chapel of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in Bletchingley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2231 / 51°13'23"N

Longitude: -0.0798 / 0°4'47"W

OS Eastings: 534184

OS Northings: 148856

OS Grid: TQ341488

Mapcode National: GBR KKP.BLY

Mapcode Global: VHGSC.KJN6

Entry Name: Chapel of St Mark

Listing Date: 25 April 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377558

English Heritage Legacy ID: 287302

Location: Bletchingley, Tandridge, Surrey, RH1

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge

Civil Parish: Bletchingley

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Bletchingley St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Godstone

Listing Text

TQ 34NW BLETCHINGLEY C.P. SOUTH PARK LANE

4/64 Chapel of St. Mark

II

Former barn, converted to Chapel in 1909. C17, restored after fire in 1912 and
extended to left in C20. Red brick on brown brick plinth, plain tiled roof;
lead cupola above with chevron decoration to plinth, wooden clock stage with
slatted sides and square ogee dome over and crowning weathervane. Gable end to
street, 2 storeys with incised crucifix in gable, angle buttress to right. One
four-light wood mullioned leaded casement with arched lights, tiled cill and
brick label moulding over to first floor. Central arched west door with trefoil
decoration in spandrels under flat label moulding. Right hand return front:
two buttresses, one similar leaded window to left end . Ribbed door to right in
leaded window surround. Office extension to left, one storey with attic under
flat roof dormer, two storey hipped roof pavilion to end left.

Interior: 3 bays with braces on corbel stops arched timber roof. Wood lintelled
opening to left side, blocked opening to south side. Chancel to east behind
similar flat roofed opening. Early C20 panelling to chancel carved with pseudo
rib-vaulting. Triple sedelia to north. Gallery across west end on large
braces.


Listing NGR: TQ3418448856

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.