This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.242 / 51°14'31"N
Longitude: -0.1258 / 0°7'32"W
OS Eastings: 530920
OS Northings: 150870
OS Grid: TQ309508
Mapcode National: GBR JJ3.50D
Mapcode Global: VHGSB.R1VQ
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377573
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287496
Location: Nutfield, Tandridge, Surrey, RH1
Civil Parish: Nutfield
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Nutfield
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35SW NUTFIELD C.P. CHURCH HILL
2/255 Church of St.Peter and
11/6/58 St. Paul
Church. C13 with tower rebuilt to top in 1786, restored in 1882 by W.O. Milne.
Coursed stone to base of tower, rubblestone above with repairs in brick to top.
Rendered and pebbledashed south aisle and nave with stone dressings. Plain
tiled roofs, Horsham slabs to chancel and wooden shingles on spire. Aisled nave
with porch to south and vestry to south west. Tower and spire to west end,
chancel and priests vestry to east and north. Two stage battlemented tower with
turret on north east corner and angle buttressing. Two-light foil headed windows
to top stage, one light Victorian window to first stage. Perpendicular style
Victorian window on west face. Renewed Victorian windows to south, Perpendicular
style to north aisle. L C14 and 1 C15 window remain on south chancel wall. West
door in moulded surround, south door planked with strapwork hinges in gabled
half glazed timbered porch; quatrefoil decoration to arch spandrels.
Interior:- 3 bay nave arcades, C13 on round piers with corbelled arches. C14
corbelled chancel arch on attached piers with moulded capitals. Blocked C13 arch
to north Chapel. Continuous mouldings to tall impressive tower arch. Rubble stone
walling revealed in chancel.
Fittings:- C15 arched piscina on south chancel wall. Rood screen - wood part C16
part C19 restoration. Jacobean Pulpit with foliage and band decoration on stone
stem, part C17 part C19. C15 stone octagonal font bowl on stem of 1665 with
quatrefoil decoration and inscription on stem reading "HH TW 1665".
Stained Glass:- East window 1890 by Edward Burne Jones produced by Morris and
Co. Good example with deep greens and blues. Further window by Burne Jones in
south east of window of south aisle. Dedicated to Mary French.
Monuments:- South chancel wall: Brasses. Standing figures of man and wife circa
15 inches tall. Stone plaque above to Benjamin Hollingsworth dated 1755. Monument
to Robert of Fulham. Rector '305-28. Chest under arched canopy with corbel and
roll mouldings. Foliated cross incised into Tomb lid. North chancel wall:
Rectangular tablet to Charles Cullman, died 1651. Stone with moulded edge. Shield
above with Coat of Arms.
South Aisle wall: Old weathervane from Tower survives. Iron. Dated 1707, with
inscription in cut letters "IBRC". North Aisle wall: Monument to John Peter
Elige. By Lupton 1814. Grey stone stele on white plinth with flanking scrolls
and apron guttae. Mourning cherub above plinth on symbols of Army Surgeons
craft - Cannon, Shields etc.
Listing NGR: TQ3092050870
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings