This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2721 / 51°16'19"N
Longitude: -0.623 / 0°37'22"W
OS Eastings: 496152
OS Northings: 153455
OS Grid: SU961534
Mapcode National: GBR FC2.59S
Mapcode Global: VHFVF.49Z3
Entry Name: Merrist Wood House
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Last Amended: 13 December 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377731
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288204
Location: Worplesdon, Guildford, Surrey, GU3
Civil Parish: Worplesdon
Built-Up Area: Worplesdon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Worplesdon
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 95SE WORPLESDON C.P. COOMBE LANE
5/140 Merrist Wood House
14.6.67 (formerly listed as Merrist
Country House, now Agricultural College. Designed 1875, built 1876-7,
rebuilt after fire in 1978, by Richard Norman Shaw for Charles Peyto Shrubb.
Snecked Bargate stone below with ashlar dressings, tile hung on first floor
left, close-stud half timber to first floor centre and right. Hipped plain
tiled roofs. 2 storeys, first floor jettied on moulded bressumer with attics
in gables and under two pentice roof, leaded casement, dormers to left.
Quadruple ridge stack to left, larger ridge stack with corbelled top to left
of centre, large stack to front right on stone plinth with ribbed brick shaft
and corbelled top. 2 bays set back to left with two 5-light, hexagonal pattern
leaded casement windows under tiled, penticed, hoods on first floor. Two
2-light stone dressed, leaded casements on ground floor with one 4-light
mullioned and transomed window. 2 projecting 4-light leaded casement windows
on first floor left of entrance with flanking, single light casement. 3 windows
below in a similar arrangement, 2 stone dressed, one wood framed. 2 single
light casements to ground floor right in the base of the stack, one larger
window to right end. Projecting 3 storey gabled porch to right of centre,
braced on first floor with heavily moulded bressumer over ground floor.
Continuous 6-light window across width of second and first floors. Arched
entrance to ground floor with heavy bracing to posts and timber sides, brick
infilled. Square panelled doors.
Right hand return front: large, angle-bay hall window.
Rear: Projecting range to right, tile hung across first floor. Leaded
fenestration and tall stacks.
Interior: Great Hall: restored in 1978 back to full height. Timber framed,
three bays with Crown-post roof. Panelled walls with billet decoration along
top. Minstrels gallery at one end with turned ballusters.
C20 extensions to left not included.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp 540-1
ANDREW SAINT : Richard Norman Shaw (Yale 1976) pp 82,94,110,113,129,164,194,416.
Plan p 112.
Ills. - 65,68, and 93.
RIBA - Drawings for Merrist Wood House by Norman Shaw.
Listing NGR: SU9615253455
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings