This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.273 / 51°16'22"N
Longitude: -0.6067 / 0°36'23"W
OS Eastings: 497292
OS Northings: 153574
OS Grid: SU972535
Mapcode National: GBR FC3.3FV
Mapcode Global: VHFVF.F8NF
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377735
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288229
Location: Worplesdon, Guildford, Surrey, GU3
Civil Parish: Worplesdon
Built-Up Area: Worplesdon
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Worplesdon
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 95SE WORPLESDON C.P. WORPLESDON ROAD
5/163 Church of St. Mary
14.6.67 the Virgin
Church. C13 north cahpel, C15 remainder - all restored in 1866. Sarsens
in tower and aisle, ironstone and flint rubble to west wall of north aisle
and north chapel, all with stone dressings. Plain tiled roof. Aisled nave
wtih square tower to west, chancel with north chapel to east, flat roof
extension to south east in gabled porch to south. 2 stage battlemented
tower in Perpendicular style, with crowning square wooded C18 cupola under
hipped lead roof, crowned by weathervane. Diagonal buttresses to west end,
square stair turret to north east angle with hipped, pyramidal roof. Four-
centred belfry lights to first stage, stone dressed, 5-light west window below.
Buttressed aisles with C15 trefoil head clerestory windows, one and two lights,
3 to each side with oblong, C17, 2-light windows to aisles below under label
mouldings. C19 renewed windows to east end of chancel chapel, curvilinear
3-light east window with ogee arched tracery. Gabled half-timbered porch
to south with moulded barge boards and rendered infilling gable,datedl591.
"Tudor" 4-centred, arched entrance. Brick dado walls below with open arcades
above under "shouldered" arches and moulded mullions. "Tudor" arched south
door in stone surround. West doors under flat label moulding with roses in
spandrels of arch surround.
Interior: tiled floor with whitewashed walls. Late C13 nave arcades of 3 bays
on round piers with double, hollow - chamfered, arches. Crimped plaster
decoration around nave arcade arches and aisle window recesses and south door.
Tall tower arch to west with attached piers, C19 chancel arch to east.
Inscription on inner face of tower reads "Richard Exfold made XIV fote of
Fittings: Triple arched Sedelia on south side of chancel. Piscina on south
wall of aisle. C17 pulpit transferred from Eton College: cut down panelled
oak with foliage edges. Font: late C17, also from Eton College: marble,
octagonal bowl with gadrooned, foliage decorated, socket. Octagonal baluster
stem with shel decoration to plinth. Stained glass: east window to north aisle
with two C14 figures under ogee canopies. East window by Clayton & Bell 1887.
Monuments: two empty ogee headed, C14 canopies in north chapel.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp 539-540.
V.C.H. SURREY, VOL III pp 390-395.
MANNING & BRAY: HISTORY OF SURREY, VOL III pp 101-3.
Listing NGR: SU9729253574
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings