This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2058 / 51°12'20"N
Longitude: -0.4513 / 0°27'4"W
OS Eastings: 508284
OS Northings: 146314
OS Grid: TQ082463
Mapcode National: GBR GFF.6QR
Mapcode Global: VHFVQ.4Y8J
Entry Name: Burrows Cross House
Listing Date: 21 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377766
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288492
Location: Shere, Guildford, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Shere
Built-Up Area: Peaslake
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shere
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TW 04 NE SHERE CP JESSES LANE
5/225 Nos 1-4(Burrows Cross
House, now divided. 1885 by Richard Norman Shaw for Frank Roll and extended
in 1889 by him for B.W. Leader. Red brick, tile hung above - some in
fishscale and patterned bands - plain tiled roofs hipped and half hipped
with moulded wooden bargeboards to gables. Half H shaped plan with projecting
gabled wing to left and smaller wing to right containing studio. Large
gable to recessed central range to left of centre, courtyard to front.
Tall corbelled stacks to right of centre, rear right and left, and to left
side. Two storeys and attic to main gable with first floor jetty on three
wooden braces to left end and three braces to right of centre. Leaded
casement fenestration under tiled pentice hoods. One four-light mullioned
and transomed window on end left to first floor, three windows to first
floor on return side with one on ground floor. One six-light attic window
in gable and one six-light mullionned and transomed window and one four-
light window on first floor of gable bay. One four-light window on corner
and one four-light window to ground floor of left hand side. Two four-
light first floor windows to centre, two mullioned and transomed windows
below. Two windows on first floor of return front of right hand wing and
one window below. Ribbed door to right of gable in porch recess, timber
framed with brick infilling. Further door to left on wing. Half glazed.
Two doors to right hand wing. Gabled 1984 extensions to right.
Left hand return front: Double gable tile hung range to first floor, brick
below with pantiled C20 single storey extension to left. Further triple
gabled range set back to left with lozenge shaped glazing to casement
Interior: Studio wing to right with floor inserted. Original large studio
window now divided horizontally. Barrel vault and handkerchief vault on
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971)
SAINT: R. Norman Shaw (Yale 1983) pp 110, 155, 243, 429.
Listing NGR: TQ0828446314
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings