History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Martin

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Horsley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2639 / 51°15'50"N

Longitude: -0.4316 / 0°25'53"W

OS Eastings: 509524

OS Northings: 152811

OS Grid: TQ095528

Mapcode National: GBR GDN.RPG

Mapcode Global: VHFVJ.GHPD

Entry Name: Church of St Martin

Listing Date: 14 June 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377815

English Heritage Legacy ID: 288633

Location: East Horsley, Guildford, Surrey, KT24

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Civil Parish: East Horsley

Built-Up Area: East Horsley

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: East Horsley

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
East Horsley

Listing Text

TQ 05SE EAST HORSLEY C.P. OCKHAM ROAD SOUTH

5/53 Church of St. Martin
14/6/67

GV II*

Church. C12 Norman Tower with inserted C13 details, C15 and C18 alterations, all
restored in 1869 by Henry Woodyer. Flint with stone dressings, rendered cladding
to upper stage of tower and plain tiled roofs. Tower to west, Nave with chancel to
east. Pentice roofed north aisle, north chapel and vestry, porch to south. Battle-
mented, 2 stage tower; square with diagonal buttressing to west end. Cambered head
louvred openings in the upper stage and brick-edged,lancet windows below on north and
south faces. Stone edged lancets to lower stage. Clock face to west front flanked
by two cambered head,louvered openings with lancet windows below. Remaining part of
Church C19, in C13 lancet style with trefoil head windows to nave alternating with
buttresses. Larger late C19 mullioned and transomed window to north chapel. C19
north door, C19 west doors in pointed arched, chamfered surround and C19 south door
in gabled porch with cusped bracing and bargeboards.
Interior:- 4 bay, nave-arcade, westernmost bay possibly C15, on octagonal piers with
hollow chamfer to arches. Mid C15 chancel arch on half column responds. Timber posts
to tower, braced, survive to west.
Fittings:- Chalk and marble pulpit on round pillar alternating with twisted, gilded
wrought iron rails on 4 piers with human corbels.
Tub Font.
Brasses: Several small effigies on south wall, north of chancel arch and north wall.
Including one of Robert de Brantingham c1400 and one to John Boothe, Bishop of Exeter,
died 1478.
Monuments:- Most moved to north Nave wall. Chest Tomb to Thomas Cornwallis, Groom-
Porter to Queen Elizabeth I, died 1626 and his wife. Half life-size effigies of
alabaster on black topped chest in raised surround. End and central rails of sides
twisted, with fleur-de-lys finial. Achievements on wall behind over winged cherubs
head.
Two good C18 Rococo wall cartouches to west end of north wall, one to James Ffox.
Died 1753.


Listing NGR: TQ0952452811

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.