History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mark

A Grade II Listed Building in Shere, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1912 / 51°11'28"N

Longitude: -0.4475 / 0°26'50"W

OS Eastings: 508586

OS Northings: 144702

OS Grid: TQ085447

Mapcode National: GBR GFM.7P4

Mapcode Global: VHFVX.6B84

Entry Name: Church of St Mark

Listing Date: 4 March 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377822

English Heritage Legacy ID: 288576

Location: Shere, Guildford, Surrey, GU5

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Civil Parish: Shere

Built-Up Area: Peaslake

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Shere

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Albury

Listing Text

The following building shall be added to the list:-

TQ 04 SE SHERE EWHURST ROAD

1688-/10/10005 CHURCH OF ST MARK

II

Church. Built in 1889 by Ewan Christian. Built of Sandstone rubble
with tiled roof having shingled spirelet with metal clock face. Simple
apsidal-ended structure with attached vestry. West front has bell
gable and triple lancet window within arch incorporating 2 circular
windows. South porch has sandstone base and wooden trefoils above and
gable with curved fretted bargeboards. Simple lancet windows to rest
of the church apart from paired lancet with circular windows over to
vestry. Interior has roof of arch-braced type. Apse has stained glass
windows of St Luke, St Mark, Mary the Virgin, Christ and Michael the
Archangel and 2 panels depicting Faith and Hope of 1899. South window
of nave has 1896 window and 1926 window depicting St Bertha and St
Augustine. Stained glass in west window of 1912. Circular stone font,
original bench pews and tiled floor, lectern and pulpit.


Listing NGR: TQ0858644702

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.