This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2461 / 51°14'45"N
Longitude: -0.5273 / 0°31'38"W
OS Eastings: 502885
OS Northings: 150689
OS Grid: TQ028506
Mapcode National: GBR GDQ.ZCT
Mapcode Global: VHFVG.TY23
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377847
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288908
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU4
Electoral Ward/Division: Merrow
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Merrow
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 05SW GUILDFORD EPSOM ROAD
(South Side) Merrow
1/5/53 Church of St John
Church. C12 remains in south chapel and aisle, rebuilt in 1842 by R. C. Hussey in
1842 in C14 style, north aisle added by Sir A. W. Blomfield in 1881. Knapped
flint rubble in rough courses with ashlar dressings and quoins; plain tiled roofs,
Horsham slabs over porch, with wood-shingled broach spire over tower. Chancel and
chapels to east, aisled nave with porches to north and south and tower to west.
Two stage tower to west with quoined angles and lower stage battering. String
course over lower stage rising up on south side to form gable moulding over stone
clock dial with thick foliage cap to apex finial. Two-light Decorated-style
traceried and louvred opening under hood mould on upper stage of tower on each
face, that to north with four quatrefoils in stone panel below. Geometrical
roundel window on the west face of the lower stage. Stair turret to north-east
corner of tower at junction with aisle with foiled-head lancet window adjoining on
lower stage and plain door surround below approached up a flight of external stairs.
Two-light Decorated-style window under hood mould to west gable end of north aisle
with offset angle buttresses flanking. Renewed lancet fenestration in chamfered
surrounds on aisle, wall plate exposed above. Round arched and zig-zag moulded
surround to north door. Two lancet windows on north side of chancel chapel with
priest's door adjacent. Five stepped lights in east window under common hood mould
with broach steps to outer chamfer. One square-headed two-light and quatrefoil
window to north and south sides of chancel under ball-flower stopped hood moulds.
One two-light window and door to east end of south chancel chapel/vestry. Three
2-light square-headed windows to south side. Gabled porch with one lancet window
in each return side to south with stone bands on front and C15 scalloped and trefoil
pattern bargeboards. Hollow chamfer and ball flower decorated surround to doors
with spear headed railings across in front.
Interior:- Three-bay circular-pier round-arched south arcade with moulded bases
and caps. Two chamfered orders and grooved and chamfered labels on each side.
Arch at east end of south aisle probably c.1200 but reset on modern jambs. Inner
jambs of lancets in south chancel chapel C13 but with C19 alterations. Beneath
east window of north chapel are two short C12 shafts with scalloped caps, one
with scalloped base, the other moulded.
Fittings:- C19 fittings of standard design. Piscina/aumbry below south east lancet
window of south chancel chapel partly obscured by pews.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.359.
V.C.H.: SURREY (1967 Edn) Vol. III pp.358-9.
Listing NGR: TQ0288550689
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings