This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2372 / 51°14'13"N
Longitude: -0.5725 / 0°34'20"W
OS Eastings: 499755
OS Northings: 149638
OS Grid: SU997496
Mapcode National: GBR FCK.648
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.156D
Entry Name: Former Royal Arms Temperance Hotel guildford Institute
Listing Date: 15 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377888
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289025
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Friary and St Nicolas
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
SU 9949 NE GUILDFORD NORTH STREET
5/159 Guildford Institute and
the Former Royal Arms
Also listed as: Guildford Institute and the Former Royal Arms Temperance Hotel Ward Street (West Side).
Institute and Former Temperance Hotel now bank. Hotel built in 1880 for the
Reverend Francis Paynter of Stoke, the Institute added in 1892 in an exact copy of the hotel style - colourwashed stucco with slate roofs obscured by parapets. On a corner site the former hotel facing North Street, the Institute facing Ward Street. Three storeys with stacks to right on the Ward Street elevation and to rear. Temperance Hotel facing North Street:- Three-bay facade under elaborate bracketed eaves cornice decorated with square panels and floral bosses; segmental pediment with scrolled strapwork in tympanum to centre. Segmental heads on rendered architrave surrounds to plate glass sash fenestration. Three windows on the second floor with lugged surrounds, vermiculated keystones, rope-moulded jambs and corbelled sills; the centre window has a portrait head keystone over and raised panel below. Three windows on first floor under cornice hoods with vermiculated panel decoration and Acanthus leaf impost band linking across centre window with grotesque head: foliage scrolls supporting hood. Balcony across in front of the windows with cross-braced roundel panels. Three cambered-head C20 fixed windows on the ground floor with cornice over. Angled corner at the junction of North and Ward Streets chamfered with one window on each floor and door below. Guildford Institute facing Ward Street:- Four bays with channelled ground floor and windows to right, four 1 bays adjacent to hotel on left in similar style and with similar cornice and fenestration. The Guildford Institute of the University of Surrey was originally at called the Guildford and Working Mens Institute which formed the Guildford Mechanics Institution in March 1834 for the promotion of useful knowledge among the working classes, an unusual foundation for the South of England at that time. The 1835 Literary and Scientific Institution merged with the Mechanics Institution in 1843 4. to form the Institute which originally occupied the upper floors of the Temperance 1 Hotel before building their own premises in 1892.
GUILDFORD AS IT WAS: MATTHEW ALEXANDER (1978)
Listing NGR: SU9975549638
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings