This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2332 / 51°13'59"N
Longitude: -0.5658 / 0°33'56"W
OS Eastings: 500229
OS Northings: 149197
OS Grid: TQ002491
Mapcode National: GBR FCK.MSC
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.48RH
Entry Name: Semaphore House
Listing Date: 1 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377890
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289036
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Guildford Holy Trinity and St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04NW GUILDFORD PEWLEY HILL
1/5/53 Semaphore House
Semaphore station. Constructed circa 1820 by the Admiralty, with later C19 wings.
Cement render with rusticated quoins, tile hung central tower under lead dome,
slate and tile roofs to remainder. Square tower surmounted by later octagonal
turret to centre flanked by lower side wings. Two-storey side wings with rear
stacks to left and right, 3-storey tower. Entrance to rear:- rusticated angle
quoins to centre and ends, plat band over ground floor. Plate glass sash fenes-
tration with two windows on each floor of each side wing, and on upper floors of
tower. Balustraded parapet to tower with panelled newels. Central flat-roofed
porch, half-glazed with anthemion.and honeysuckle pattern ironwork on lower part,
door to centre. Right hand return front (facing Semaphore Road):- Gable end with
two storey projecting bay, rusticated angle quoins and plat band. Tripartite sash
window to ground floor, C20 casements above. Rear (North front) - irregular C19
and C20 mixed fenestration.
One of a line of Semaphore stations from London to Portsmouth, some of which were
built on the site of earlier shutter telegraphs used during the Napoleonic Wars.
Each station originally comprised an octagonal tower with signalling room and
living accommodation for the lieutenant in charge. Signalling was by means of two
moveable arms attached to a pole surmounting the tower. Of seven stations originally
in Surrey only three remain, the others being at Telegraph Hill (Cooper's Hill), &
Chately Hill both in the borough of Elmbridge.
G. WILSON: THE OLD TELEGRAPHS (1976)
M. ALEXANDER: GUILDFORD AS IT WAS (1978)
Listing NGR: TQ0022949197
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings