This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2294 / 51°13'45"N
Longitude: -0.568 / 0°34'4"W
OS Eastings: 500080
OS Northings: 148776
OS Grid: TQ000487
Mapcode National: GBR FCK.TFC
Mapcode Global: VHFVN.3CKC
Entry Name: Quarry Heights undershaw
Listing Date: 13 January 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377905
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289125
Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1
Local Authority Ward: Holy Trinity
Built-Up Area: Guildford
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shalford
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 04NW GUILDFORD WARWICKS BENCH
4/254 No. 16 (Quarry
13/1/72 Heights) and No. 18
House, now divided in two. Circa 1910 by M. H. Baillie-Scott in a Tudor style.
Brown brick with plain tiled roofs; stone-flagged entrance court. L-shaped plan
with long projecting wing to left, shorter gabled wing to right. Built into
hillside with single-storey entrance range approached from street, two storeys
across rear. Multiple stacks in a cluster of six to ridge of short wing on right,
4 diagonal stacks with tile-on-edge coping to rear left; further diagonal stacks
to left side. Deep eaves on left hand wing with leaded half dormer to left.
Glazed C20 door to centre with small casement flanking. Lower casement window to
right under tile-on-edge lintel, where ground drops away. Two storey gabled bay
in angle re-entrant to left with 2-light leaded casement window to first floor and
cambered-head single light window below. Two plain 3-light windows to pentice
left of centre on centre range; one leaded window to gable end of right hand wing
over square bay window on ground floor. Ribbed door under 4-centre arched head
to right hand angle re-entrant with carved spandrels and approached along a
cloister of 3 bays, central one on round pillars. Rear:- Timber frame with render
infill to left. Canted bay to left under turret roof. Wood framed canted-bay to
centre. Gable to right with large 3-light, first floor window over casement doors
with decorative leading. Original interiors largely intact.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.288.
M. H. BAILLIE-SCOTT: HOUSES AND GARDENS 1935.
Listing NGR: TQ0008048776
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings