History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Disused Reservoir

A Grade II Listed Building in Guildford, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2347 / 51°14'4"N

Longitude: -0.5705 / 0°34'13"W

OS Eastings: 499898

OS Northings: 149360

OS Grid: SU998493

Mapcode National: GBR FCK.DMF

Mapcode Global: VHFVN.278B

Entry Name: Disused Reservoir

Listing Date: 4 April 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1377907

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289136

Location: Guildford, Surrey, GU1

County: Surrey

District: Guildford

Town: Guildford

Electoral Ward/Division: Holy Trinity

Built-Up Area: Guildford

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Guildford Holy Trinity and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Guildford

Listing Text

SU 9949 SV GUILDFORD PEWLEY HILL
8/260 Disused Reservoir
II
Underground reservoir, built in 1855 reusing bricks from an earlier House of Correction
to the south of the castle grounds and roofed over in 1886. Externally the
structure comprises brick walling enclosing a triangular site. Along Pewley Hill
is a large wall of red brick with grey headers in English bond probably of reused
bricks with stepped panelled parapet above of c1885 in brown brick. At the corner
the brickwood is in header bond. Along Oxford Terrace the wall is about 9 feet
high of early c19 bricks in Sussex bond incorporating 1 circular iron tier.
The other elevation has c20 brickwork. Internally the reservoir comprises a boat -
shaped structure about 30 feet deep lined in reinforced concrete with 6 bay brick
barrel vaulted roof supported on angled iron supports on brick padstones.
See N.C.C. Barrell "The History of the Guildford Waterworks" 2nd edition 1951
included as an early reservoir of unusual shape and with early use of reinforced
concrete.


Listing NGR: SU9989849360

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.