This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2603 / 51°15'37"N
Longitude: -0.1742 / 0°10'27"W
OS Eastings: 527490
OS Northings: 152824
OS Grid: TQ274528
Mapcode National: GBR JHN.YKL
Mapcode Global: VHGS3.XLR5
Entry Name: Gatton Hall
Listing Date: 31 March 1977
Last Amended: 21 November 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377943
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289326
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH2
District: Reigate and Banstead
Town: Reigate and Banstead
Electoral Ward/Division: Reigate Hill
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Gatton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
shall be amended to read
Built or rebuilt by the Fifth Baron Monson between 1830 and 1841 and contained
the celebrated Marble Hall, designed for Charles IV of Spain and purchased by
Lord Monson in Rome in 1830 for £10,000. Sir Jeremiah Colman added a large Corinthian portico on the north side in 1891.
The house was gutted by fire in 1934 and only the portico and
the extreme west end of the servants' wing survived.
It was rebuiltin neo-Georgian style and is included only for the portico:
prostyle Hexastyle Corinthian portico embracing the projecting centre bay of the house
with 2 columns at either side and joining side wings which have Corinthian Order
with flat pilasters.
No stylobate: the path runs through. Modillioned and dentilled cornice and pediment.
Listing NGR: TQ2749052824
Other nearby listed buildings