History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Brockham, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2315 / 51°13'53"N

Longitude: -0.2857 / 0°17'8"W

OS Eastings: 519789

OS Northings: 149428

OS Grid: TQ197494

Mapcode National: GBR HGL.LMG

Mapcode Global: VHGS8.09BS

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 11 June 1973

Last Amended: 21 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378041

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289859

Location: Brockham, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH3

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Civil Parish: Brockham

Built-Up Area: Brockham

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Brockham Green Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Betchworth

Listing Text

TQ 1949 BROCKHAM GREEN,
BROCKHAM
850/10/257
Christ Church
11.06.1973

GV II

Church. 1846 by Benjamin Ferrey. Coursed firestone with limestone dressings. Plain tile roofs; ashlar spire. Cruciform plan having: 4-bay nave with central north porch; 2-bay transepts with lean-tos on east side; 2-stage crossing tower with spire; 3-bay chancel. In Early English style with quoins; chamfered plinth; offset butresses; carved eaves modillions; corbelled raised verges with ashlar coping and celtic cross finials; pointed-arch doorways and windows, the former with board doors and decorative iron hinges and boot-scrapers, the latter either of 2-lights with plate tracery or lancets; hoodmoulds with decorative terminals to nave openings. Nave: 2-light windows to north and south sides; triangular foundation tablet over door of north porch; door, 2 lancets and quatrefoil to west end. Transepts: each have 2 lancets and quatrefoil to gable and lancets and Caernarvon-arched doorway to lean-to. Tower: 2-light belfry openings with attached colonettes; corbelled parapet with halved dog-tooth decoration; quatrefoils and weather-cock to spire. Chancel: lancet windows;at west end, stepped triple-lancet window in pointed-arched recess with atttached colonettes. Interior: moulded chancel arch on attached columns. Corbelled cusped-braced roof trusses with trenched purlins. Carved wooden reredos of 1885. Octagonal stone font, decoratively carved.

Listing NGR: TQ1978949428

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.