This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4404 / 51°26'25"N
Longitude: -0.5761 / 0°34'33"W
OS Eastings: 499065
OS Northings: 172232
OS Grid: SU990722
Mapcode National: GBR F90.R4P
Mapcode Global: VHFTN.Y2T3
Entry Name: North Lodge, West Lodge, East Lodge and Attached Walls (Within the Grounds of Ridgemead)
Listing Date: 26 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378072
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289821
Location: Runnymede, Surrey, TW20
Electoral Ward/Division: Englefield Green West
Built-Up Area: Egham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Englefield Green
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
0/D EGHAM U.D. RIDGEMEAD ROAD
North lodge, West lodge, East
lodge and attached walls
(within the grounds of
Three linked gate lodges with attached walls and gateways forming entrance to Ridgemead
(q.v.). C1938. By Robert Lutyens for Captain Woolf Barnato. White painted brick,
ashlar dressings, pantile roofs. The lodges and walls encompass three quadrants of
a circle, the driveway running between walls attached to East Lodge (on east) and West
Lodge (on west); wall continues round from West Lodge to North Lodge interrupted by
gateway to courtyard which is screened fron road by another section of wall running
westward from West Lodge. In Spanish Mission style, the composition facing into the
centre: lodges 2 storeys, 3 bays with rear wings; walls approx 3 metres high with flat
ashlar coping breaking forward at gateways to form cruciform-section piers with ashlar
plinths, quoins, cornices and hanging stiles and surmounted by ornate lanterns; former
wooden driveway gates removed; simple decorated double iron gates to Courtyard under
Lodges: each had central 2-panel door (East Lodge's half glazed, North Lodge's replaced
by glazed door) in stone architrave under open pediment supported by attached square
columns, North Lodge with 2 decorative panels below pediment, West Lodge with flanking
pilasters supporting pullinated frieze and cornice. Windows are 2-light leaded wood
casements with louvred shutters and lst-floor cill band (continuing as wall coping),
East Lodge having French window onto corbelled decorative-iron-railed balcony. Swept
oversailing hipped roofs with central stacks. East Lodge left return has bay window
and door under bracketed hipped roof. West Lodge rear (road front) has French window
onto iron balcony to 1st floor left, wall continuing to left with pointed-arched
doorway, and single-storey addition on right not of special interest.
Interiors: not all inspected, but East Lodge has one decorative ashlar fireplace with
chamfered Tudor-arched opening and floral motifs to spandrea.
C Hussey, "Ridgemead - Englefield Green", Country Life, February 10 1940, pp 144-148
and February 17 1940, pp 172-176.
Listing NGR: SU9898872458
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings