This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.202 / 51°12'7"N
Longitude: -0.4055 / 0°24'19"W
OS Eastings: 511494
OS Northings: 145957
OS Grid: TQ114459
Mapcode National: GBR HGT.D9V
Mapcode Global: VHFVX.X1HX
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 11 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289970
Location: Abinger, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5
District: Mole Valley
Civil Parish: Abinger
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Abinger
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
ABINGER C.P. ABINGER LANE
4/3 Church of St. James
Church. Nave early C12 (V.C.H.) with chancel rebuilt c1220 and north chapel of
similar date. Vestry, organ bay and south porch added in restoration of 1857,
bombed in 1939-1945 World War and restored in 1950 by Frederick Etchells.
Bargate rubble, once colourwashed and now rendered on chancel chapel, ashlar
dressings to angles and plain tiled roofs. Horsham slab roof over porch and
wood shingles on bell tower and spire. Nave and chancel with chancel chapel
to the north, vestry, organ bay and porch to south and bellcote to west end.
One 2-light, louvred opening in each face of bellcote, broach spire above. Off-
set buttressing to nave. Renewed round-arch lancet fenestration on south side
with late C15, square-headed, 3 trefoil-light window on east. Lancet fenestration
on north side of nave over flat roofed vestry addition with leaded fenestration.
Three lancets on south side of chancel, one to the east of buttress over offset,
one round-arched casement window to end. C19 stepped window to east. Three C13
lancet windows to east end of chapel with chamfered rear arches, three further
lancets on north side, alternating with two offset buttresses and with external
rebates. Door to west end of north wall of chapel in Horsham slab pentice porch
with outer order of jamb shafts under foliate caps and inner raised zig-zag order.
South door: recut surround to ribbed and studded double doors.
Interior - simple. Stone floor. Whitewashed walls and panelled roof with moulded
wall plates. Braced frame to west end supporting bellcote. Three bay arcade
between chancel and north chapel on round piers and half pier responds. C20
fittings including octagonal font on round centre stem.
Monument:- Dedicated to Alistair Mackenzie 1910 by Albert Tolt. Art nouveau style
The church forms part of a group with the stocks and memorial around the Green.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1977) &
V.C.H. (1967 Ed) VOL III pp 133-4.
Listing NGR: TQ1149445957
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings