History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3 and 11, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Mole Valley, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2317 / 51°13'54"N

Longitude: -0.333 / 0°19'58"W

OS Eastings: 516484

OS Northings: 149377

OS Grid: TQ164493

Mapcode National: GBR HGJ.LNH

Mapcode Global: VHGS7.59TM

Entry Name: 3 and 11, High Street

Listing Date: 28 November 1951

Last Amended: 11 June 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378094

English Heritage Legacy ID: 289926

Location: Mole Valley, Surrey, RH4

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Town: Mole Valley

Electoral Ward/Division: Dorking North

Built-Up Area: Dorking

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Dorking St Martin

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Dorking

Listing Text

HIGH STREET
1.
1049
(North-West Side)
Nos 3 and 11
(Formerly listed as
No 11 High Street and
No 3 North Street)
TQ 1649 SW 4/13 28.11.51

II

2.
C17 and possibly earlier. An L-shaped building of 2 wings, one north-south,
and one east-west. A small part of the building comprises No 3 High Street,
but most is occupied by Arthur's the Builders and stands at the back of a
yard approached from the High Street and numbered 11 in the High Street.
2 storeys. Tiled roof. Both east-west and north-south wings timber-framed;
north-south wing with red brick cladding in "artisan mannerist" style on
western front in North Street. 7 window bays (later addition of attic storey
with one window in No 3 High Street). 6 brick pilasters rising through whole
height of building. String-course. Modillion eaves cornice. The original
windows were and are casement windows of 2 tiers and 3 lights but some have
been modernized; sash windows with glazing bars in No 3 High Street. Gable
ends facing north-west. Tiled roof. On western side within courtyard, 3
gabled dormers (2 with original brickwork) and 2 windows with segmental arches
in storey below. The building was originally the Chequers Inn, of which
the name was changed in 1660 to the King's Head Inn. It was locally called
the Marquis of Granby because it was thought to have served as the model
for the Inn of that name kept by Tony Weller's "widder" in "The Pickwick
Papers". But it ceased to have a licence between 1800 and 1850 and so was
not an Inn at the time "The Pickwick Papers" was written. Fine timber-framing
exposed within. Traces of mural painting in different parts of the building:
on ceiling of room 5th bay from north on ground floor of north-south wing;
on northern wall in room 4th window bay from north on 1st floor, and fleur-de-lys
design behind brickwork in adjoining passageway. Photographs in NMR.


Listing NGR: TQ1648449377

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.