History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary Magdalene

A Grade II Listed Building in Holmwood, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1905 / 51°11'25"N

Longitude: -0.3243 / 0°19'27"W

OS Eastings: 517197

OS Northings: 144804

OS Grid: TQ171448

Mapcode National: GBR HH3.8TT

Mapcode Global: VHGSF.BBFR

Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene

Listing Date: 11 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1378100

English Heritage Legacy ID: 290060

Location: Holmwood, Mole Valley, Surrey, RH5

County: Surrey

District: Mole Valley

Civil Parish: Holmwood

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: Holmwood

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Holmwood

Listing Text

In the entry for HOLMWOOD C.P. HORSHAM ROAD

7/93 Church of St Mary
Magdalene

The list description should be amended to read:-


Church. Originally a chapel built in 1837-8, Mr J B Watson, the gift of Mrs Arnold.
Chancel added in 1842 by J Wild, North aisle added in 1845, possibly by J P Harrison.
Tower added in 1850 and South aisle by St Aubyn completed in 1863. Sandstone blocks
on the tower, sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings to remainder, all under plain
tiled roofs. Aisled nave with chancel to east and tower to west. Tower: 3 stages
with offset diagonal buttresses and string courses between each stage on North and
South faces only. Double lancet openings to top stage, decorated style window to west
face of lower stage. Three trefoil-head and roundel windows to south aisle on sill
course, with hood moulds over. Renewed lancet fenestration on pentice roofed north
aisle. Corbelled eaves to chancel in the angle with the south aisle. Corbelled
eaves to chancel in the angle with the south aisle. Bellcote on roof at junction of
nave and chancel. Gabled stone porch to south with hood moulding and foliage or
stops to entrance. Corbelled surround to studded door. Interior:- Round pier arcades
with roll moulded plinths, 3 piers on each arcade, half-octagonal responds to east
ends. Billeted braces on south aisle roof with double row of windbraces above.
Chamfered and corbelled tower arch seimi-circular responds on chancel arch.

Fittings:- Triple sedilia with flanking aumbry on south chancel wall. Arcaded and
gilded reredos behind altar and arcaded rear arch to east-window. C19 and early C20
panelling in chancel and stone floor. Panelled pulpit on stone plinth. Octagonal,
plain tub front on squat multi-shaft stem.

Monuments:- Wall monument to Mr G Rennie on west wall. Bridge building and
designer. 0

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.137

------------------------------------

HOLMWOOD C.P. HORSHAM ROAD
TQ 14SE
Church of St Mary
7/93 Magdalene

II

Church. Originally a chapel built in 1837-8, by J. B, Watson, the gift of
Mrs Arnold. Nave added in 1842 by J. Wild, North aisle added in 1845, possibly
by J. P. Harrison. Tower added in 1850 and South aisle completed in 1863. Sand-
stone blocks on the tower, sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings to remainder,
all under plain tiled roofs. Aisled nave with gabled porch to south, chancel to
east and tower to west. Tower: 3 stages with offset diagonal buttresses and
string courses between each stage. Double lancet openings to top stage, decorated
style window to west face of lower stage. Two trefoil-head and roundel windows to
south on sill course, with hood moulds over. Renewed lancet fenestration on pentice
roofed north aisle. Corbelled eaves to chancel with lancet windows below, flat
roofed vestry to north side of chancel in the angle with the north aisle. Bell-
cote on roof at junction of nave and chancel. Gabled stone porch to south with
hood moulding and foliage steps to entrance. Corbelled surround to studded door.
Interior:- Round pier arcades with roll moulded plinths, 3 piers on each arcade,
half-octagonal responds to ends. Billeted braces on south aisle roof with double
row of windbraces above. Chamfered and corbelled tower arch, semi-circular
responds on chancel arch.
Fittings:- Triple sedilia with flanking aumbry on south chancel wall. Arcaded
and gilded reredos behind altar and arcaded rear arch to east window. C19 Early
C20 panelling in chancel and stone floor. Panelled pulpit on stone plinth.
Octagonal, plain tub font on squat multi-shaft stem.
Monuments:- Wall monument to Mr J. Rennie on west wall. Bridge builder arid designer.

PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) p.317.


Listing NGR: TQ1719744804

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.